Help with Angelfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two Angelfish that have just laid eggs but still am not sure if they are a pair or two females. Is there any way I can tell without waiting to see if the eggs are fertilised?

One is guarding the eggs whilst the other keeps going over them if this helps with identification.

Anyone? Hoping for advice soon as if it is a proper male female pair I need to start moving the other fish into a new tank!

No way to tell unless you watched then do the deed. The eggs will go bad within 12 hours I think if they are unfertilized. It will take some time to hatch if they are fertilized so keep an rye out and either way you'll have adequate time to do what you need to

I have two Angelfish that have just laid eggs but still am not sure if they are a pair or two females. Is there any way I can tell without waiting to see if the eggs are fertilised?

One is guarding the eggs whilst the other keeps going over them if this helps with identification.

There are subtle differences in Angels that really take a trained eye to see. If you saw them spawning, the size of the breeding tubes should have been different. The females is shorter and thicker while the male's is more pointed and thinner.

In the album section in my profile (labeled Angelfish) is a picture with a trio of Angelfish. The arrows in the pic point to what I have always used as a sexual differentiator. (It's had a 90+ % effectiveness over the years ;))The male is on the left while the other 2 are females.
Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom