help with Breeding blackworms in small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a hood and was wondering if I filled the tank up most of the way and put in a spongefilter would the worms be able to survive and reproduce?

They should do fine without a filter. Just fill it up with .5 - 1" of water, put in some plastic mesh or something for them to hold on to and you're good to go. Don't need to feed or anything, just change water every couple days. Works perfectly for me.

They should do fine without a filter. Just fill it up with .5 - 1" of water, put in some plastic mesh or something for them to hold on to and you're good to go. Don't need to feed or anything, just change water every couple days. Works perfectly for me.

Do they multiply in yours? what kind of water do you use? I was thinking about just using water from my puffers tank everytime I do a water change but taking water from my puffer tank everyday to change the worms tank might become a problem. Which is why I was thinking about a spongefilter to keep water clean for about a week and using some bird netting I have left over from trying to build a moss wall(epic fail) as substrate. I also read they could drown but I also heard they are fully aquatic. Pretty confusing

I'm culturing live black worms in a 10 gal tank with 2-3 inches of water and a small (smallest size available) sponge filter. I try to feed them every week with the mulm on the bottom of my guppy tank, and the filter is there to filter the water and provide aeration.

Like any aquatic animal, they can drown if there isn't enough aeration (dissolved O2) in the water, even if they are fully aquatic. Imagine us having air but no O2 on land. Same story, different situation.

They require large amounts of dissolved O2, so I'd recommend either a sponge filter (2-in-1) or at least an airstone, and you can keep it at room temp and they should do fine.

One more thing, I have a thin layer of 1/2" gravel because they'll get split moving through it and I've read that's how they "reproduce". Just something to consider.

Hope this helps!

Agreed on the sponge filter, and especially on the mulm...my blackworms thrived in a heavily mulmed tank ( I didn't even realize they were living in there until I went to break it down and found tons of them)

Back
Top Bottom