help with breeding corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to breed with corys I think its unfair to them that every other fish spwan except them what should I do

I want to breed with corys I think its unfair to them that every other fish spwan except them what should I do
Are the corys in a tank on there own??. The way I done it was,
1. Set up a 10g just for the corys. Bare tank is fine. Use a sponge filter.
2. Obviously make sure it's cycled!!
3. Pick out 1 female and 2 males. Females will have a much wider body.
4. Feed them well, bloodworms/good quality flakes/pellets.
5. Daily 20% water changes, with the new water a couple of degrees cooler than the tank water.
6. A large 50% water change once a week.
7. When they spawn, remove the eggs carefully with a glass scraper and place in a breeder box, I find plastic boxes better than the net types.

You can then return the corys to the 'main' tank. The eggs hatch after around 5 days. I like to keep the hatched fry in the plastic breeder box for a month or so to make sure they get enough food.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 59
No the live with guppies

But do I need to put the eggs in holder or can I leave them on the bottom

Breeding Corydoras

Hello Jor...

Keep the water pure by doing large, weekly water changes. Feed a variety of frozen, freeze dried and flaked foods. Don't keep Corys in a tank with other fish. Those other fish will have the Cory eggs for lunch. Keep a lot of plants planted on the bottom of the tank. Those with larger leaves, like Anubias are best. The Corys like to deposit their eggs on the leaves.

These steps should get you started.

B

What should I feed them the fry
I feed them Hikari First Bites for a month or so and then crushed pellets/flakes and gradually normal flakes/pellets as they grow. Repashy make a gel food for them.....

Hello Jor...

Keep the water pure by doing large, weekly water changes. Feed a variety of frozen, freeze dried and flaked foods. Don't keep Corys in a tank with other fish. Those other fish will have the Cory eggs for lunch. Keep a lot of plants planted on the bottom of the tank. Those with larger leaves, like Anubias are best. The Corys like to deposit their eggs on the leaves.

These steps should get you started.

B
The corys will eat the eggs too. So remove the eggs ASAP.....

Back
Top Bottom