Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help with my Bolivian rams please!!!!!

Are they fighting or doing some sort of mating dance? They've been going this a lot last couple days also got more colourful I don't no what sex they are though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trying up upload my video but don't no how :/

Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually, when cichlids fight as a pre- spawning behavior, their colors will intensify but they "lip lock" not really "fight". If they are fighting, there is usually attacks to more parts of the body including the fins and tail. These will be shredded in a fight but not usually in a pre-spawn behavior. While this is the norm, it's not always the case. Many breeding S.A. cichlids look like they went 10 rounds in a heavy weight fight right before they start spawning together so it's up to you whether you want to allow this to continue or separate the pair. Not knowing what genders you have makes this more difficult to advise which move is best.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

There only lip locking not hitting eny other parts of there body but there still quiet small so I would if though there to young to spawn?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they are small and lip locking, this may be just a status fight and I wouldn;t be concerned about it. As long as the fish aren't beating each other bloody, there's not much more you can do besides adding more decor so they can't see each other or physically separating them which means if this is a pre nuptual lip lock, you have taken away any chance they will spawn together.

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, bolivian rams, ram, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com