Holy fish fry batman!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a picture. I couldn't get a better one. I guess it came from the neon black hi fin variatus? I just got them a few days ago. Should I try and catch it and put it in my 5 gallon? It's cycled and empty except a few snails.

This was so unexpected! I wonder if there will be more!

I have a male endlers, neons, and rummy nose tetras. It has to be a variatus fry, right?

Yes, it does appear to be a platy(variatus) fry. It will most likely be eaten unless you have a lot of hiding places in the tank. If you don't have sufficient hiding places, I would advise moving it to the 5 gallon. There will most likely be more, but they may have been eaten.
Congratulations about your fry!

fishdude25 said:
Yes, it does appear to be a platy(variatus) fry. It will most likely be eaten unless you have a lot of hiding places in the tank. If you don't have sufficient hiding places, I would advise moving it to the 5 gallon. There will most likely be more, but they may have been eaten.
Congratulations about your fry!

Thanks!

It must have been eaten or it's hiding really well. I havent seen it since this morning and I've not noticed anymore either.

Possibly hiding turn the lights off, wait awhile then turn them back on and it may come out if it feels safe enough. Or you could sweep your net along the gravel and see if it pops up.

Chronos313 said:
Possibly hiding turn the lights off, wait awhile then turn them back on and it may come out if it feels safe enough. Or you could sweep your net along the gravel and see if it pops up.

I just did a 10 gal pwc. Moved some driftwood and I found 2 fry! They were hiding so good! I have pfs, and they really blend in. I caught them and moved them to my 5 gallon. I turned off my lamp next to it and only the dim lights are on. I just looked and saw both of them hanging out by the pebbles and lemon Bacopa. :)

My big question- how and when do I try to feed them? I just crush up tropical fish flakes into super fine bits right? But how will they know to eat it?

I read that variatus are omnivores. If I put an algae wafer in there will they nibble on it? I've dropped one in my 55 and the Rummies, endlers, and adult variatus pick at it.

I would just grind up the flakes into a fine powder for now, just make sure your hands are clean(no soap residue) and with the flakes ground up dip your fingers into the tank and they'll pick at it. 2 or 3 times a day should suffice. I would say feed tonight then late morning, late afternoon and at bedtime.

Whoo hoo!! Congrats!
My fry don't eat until 2-3 days after birth... The survive off of their yolk sac until then...
Fry just learn to eat from eventually trying on their own... It's quicker if there's older fry to model...

They'll figure it out! :) how long will they be in the net? They'll grow slower long term....

Chronos313 said:
I would just grind up the flakes into a fine powder for now, just make sure your hands are clean(no soap residue) and with the flakes ground up dip your fingers into the tank and they'll pick at it. 2 or 3 times a day should suffice. I would say feed tonight then late morning, late afternoon and at bedtime.

I grind flakes into a powder..:
I feed my fry every 4 hrs...
My experience has shown platy fry are less vigorous eaters than my Molly fry are...

ocminpin said:
Whoo hoo!! Congrats!
My fry don't eat until 2-3 days after birth... The survive off of their yolk sac until then...
Fry just learn to eat from eventually trying on their own... It's quicker if there's older fry to model...

They'll figure it out! :) how long will they be in the net? They'll grow slower long term....

They were in the net long enough for me to take a picture and move them into my 5 gallon. They should be happy there. There's hiding spots for them and they don't have to worry about getting eaten. :)

Great pictures! I really love your 5g set up! I'm moving my 4 fry today from my community tank to a 10g. They are currently hanging on the side in a "nursery net" box.

It's always fun when you find a random fry! It's like winning the fish lottery to me. :D If you keep hunting i'll bet you find more, they can hide really, really well!

Yea we just found a fry in our 75 gallon. Surprisingly he hid very well. we have platies and a couple Balas in there. we had just bought a breeder net the day before, so we scooped him up and put him in there for now so hes safe. Cute little guy.
We had found 2 in our 36 once, we knew who they came from... only one of the two made it. Now hes 2 months old and the cutest little thing you ever saw. his name is Junior :-D After the father (RIP Wiggles) He managed to hide so well in the life big tall plants we have. And we always tried to feed him multiple times a day, especially at night when the lights were off so the others wouldnt eat his food. Hes a little hog like the rest :p

I fed them some flakes. I saw one eat a piece and then spit it out. At least he gave it a try!!

Still haven't found more fry. I turned off the lights so if the mama wants to have some more it's nice and calm in there.

I did a major fry hunt today. I took all the bigger fish out and all the decorations. It was intense and i only caught 1 fry. I'll take it though! I just moved all my fry to their own tank & that is the most fun watching them swim everywhere after being in a tiny box for so long.

So now i have 2 platy fry and 3 guppy (i think--still to young to be 100%) fry. So fun! I hope you get some more!

Great pictures! I really love your 5g set up! I'm moving my 4 fry today from my community tank to a 10g. They are currently hanging on the side in a "nursery net" box.

It's always fun when you find a random fry! It's like winning the fish lottery to me. :D If you keep hunting i'll bet you find more, they can hide really, really well!

Definitely fun finding fry. We just spotted 3 more this evening and out them in the breeder box. That's the mos we have ever been.able to.save at one time. now we have 4. Definitely keep a lookout. They hide every where and theyre so tiny you'll never spot them

I can promise you ( 99.9999%) of the time, that there is more fry somewhere. When one of my livebearers births I sometimes don't find the fry until they are coming out during feeding time to eat!

Back
Top Bottom