How Do I Breed Cherry Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alia258 said:
Okay, but are you sure there isn't any kind of copper treatment for my tank? I'm a bit low on cash, and my whole 50$ in my bank account was misplaced and I won't get it back for a week, and I'm still trying to get a 30g tank for my other fish to go in. The 10g will then be for shrimp and guppy fry. Any ideas on any way to treat my tank for copper? Maybe I can use another chemical to balance it out?

Ive never heard of copper removal treatments. I doubt it exists, and adding more chemicals wouldnt be any better. Did you google it?

Did you say you already have the shrimp? Is that why you dont want to wait to have cash to get another cheap tank ($12 at walmart)?

But you would have the cash for a copper treatment if it exists? ;)

You can always just try keeping the shrimp anyway and see what happens. We're not keeping you from doing it, we just don't think it's worth the risk. You can put shrimp in other containers for now.I keep them in 5g, 3g, and 1g containers and they breed in each tank. Plastic, glass, whatever I had available that looked pretty and saved space. A homemade sponge filter is sufficient for them, and ambient light for low light plants, and I keep them at room temp (68-70 deg). So you don't even need a full tank set up. Get creative.

I don't have the shrimp yet, I will just do another tank then. So, tell me more about this home made sponge filter you speak of ^^

alia258 said:
I don't have the shrimp yet, I will just do another tank then. So, tell me more about this home made sponge filter you speak of ^^

Google how it works, it's very simple. Lots of diagrams to explain what goes on. Youtube tutorials so that you can follow along in making one- there are a ton.
An airline tube, air pump and a sponge is all that is necessary, you can add more to it to make it more effective. Poke around for a tutorial that suits what you have on hand.

Good luck

Thank you! I will start on my searching! (just got back home, was out of service for the last 4 days)

I have some live plants, right? But I picked these out of a river, and the water was clean enough to drink. How can I make it safe for my shrimp to be with the plants? (still don't have shrimp yet)

I will try to send you a pic of my little tank that I hope to keep 1-2 cherry shrimp in (it's night time, and my phones camera isn't the greatest) here's my effort on the pics:

View attachment 79300

Can't really see that one, the light is on! I will try again:

View attachment 79301

You can see more of that last one. Will this hold 1-2 cherry shrimp? And will I have to do daily water changes if I don't find a filter?

The gerneral rule of thumb that I have heard is that you can keep 10 RCS per gallon. Though not really sure at that size. Shrimps genuinly need clean water so if you can't find a small enough filter I would recommend doing daily water changes yes. Or every other day.

It's around 1-2 quarts (1/4-1/2 gallons) so I think two will fit nicely. Espically if it's 10 shrimp per gallon! Every other day I can do water changes, it I a small enough tank that I can just dump it out and refill it.

Yup =) Though if you are looking to breed them, the more you have to start with the greater your chances of having males and females. Most people recommend 10-20g for proper breeding. But I have 10 in my 6g tank and they are still breeding ok ;)

I'm going to be getting a bigger tank soon that I can transfer the shrimp into.

Back
Top Bottom