How do i get my guppies to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a 2.5 gallon tank about 3-4 days ago and i put 1 male and 2 female guppies in there ...
There is also a female platy...
How do i get them to breed?

That tank is way too small for guppy breeding. You should have at least a 10 gallon tank.

The platy looks really cramped in there, too.

Did you cycle this tank?

No.. I didnt i moved the platy in there so she can have the babies but i didnt see anything happen... I moved these fish from my 29 gallon .. Because they look pretty fat.

You need a cycled tank for these fish.

Also, if you're planning on using this just as a grow out tank, it's just too small. Sorry.

I have been told that even a 1 gallon tank would be fine for the platy.. So i bought this tank for $3

I'm sorry but you were given incorrect information.

So, let's start over so we can all understand exactly what's going on.

You had these fish originally in a 29?

You put them into this 2.5 to spawn, in the case of the guppies, or give birth in the case of the platy? Is this right?

The 2.5 gallon is not cycled, right?

Yes... All correct. I also have a net breeder... Is that fine? Could i use that instead?

I'm a little confused with your spawning method. Why are you separating out the guppies from the main tank to spawn? You know if you just leave them in the main tank, the male will eventually spawn with either or both females.

If you feel the platy is near giving birth, you can use a breeder net. I don't use nets. I just have java moss in the main tank, the fish give birth, the fry go into the java moss until they're old enough to come out.

Still, my biggest overall concern is that these fish are now in an uncycled environment. They could die from shock as I presume you did not acclimate them.

Ok i just move them back right now... They have been there for 4 days now , so its safe to move them back now...
Also when its done cycling can i breed deifferent fish? Like bettas?

There is a lot involved in breeding bettas. Why are you so hot to breed something? Do you have grow out tanks? Do you have a source for all the fry you would have? You have to have all your ducks in a row before you get into breeding adventures.

I have know people that would like my fish.. I just want to know how to breed fish... I have done research about it... So i just want to know what is like...

You would have to research the various species you might be interested in and see what's involved as far as fry care and food, can the fry stay with parents, grow out tanks, etc.

There's not just one answer, I'm afraid.

Guppies will breed in the community tank without any assistance, clean water, good food, and they will do their own thing. Lynda is right about the tank size you will have greater success with a 10 gallon. my guppies breed in my 29G and then I catch the fry and put them in my 10G nursery tank.

Just remember that breeding requires tanks, lots of tanks, to do well.

Doing the livebearers is a good start to give you an idea of what it's like, as mentioned just keep the female(s) in the main tank until she's ready to pop.

jetajockey said:
Just remember that breeding requires tanks, lots of tanks, to do well.

Doing the livebearers is a good start to give you an idea of what it's like, as mentioned just keep the female(s) in the main tank until she's ready to pop.

Lots of tanks is right lol I have
A 29G for my females
A 10G for my males to control the breeding
And a 10G for my fry to grow in

But breeding livebearers has been fun to watch and a good learning experience for me

Back
Top Bottom