How do you breed glowlight tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got two glowlight tetras in my 24 gallon community tank (the other ones died) and I'm trying to breed them.

After feeding both of them flake food, flake pellets and frozen food once a day for a week, along with my other community fish (which are other fish from the Amazon River), I did a 15% water change and put a tank divider in the tank (since I don't have a breeding tank) with the glowlight tetras in one side and the other fish in the other. I also closed the blinds of the window so the tank was quite dark. In the next morning, they were just sitting there, not even chasing each other :( The glowlight tetras' side of the tank contains plants like rooted and floating elodea and a few vallisneria. Their side is near the filter as well.

pH - 7.5. I have peat moss in my filter for a month and it just turned my tank water cloudy white.
gH and kH - I don't know.
Temperature - 23 degrees Celsius
Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia - I tested my tank water at the petstore and they said it was very good. My tank is fully cycled for like five years.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I could do.

:thanks:

And here's what my tank looks like right now. Glowlight tetras are on the right and other fish are on the left.

Attachments

• 1410079611168.jpg
    1410079611168.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 88
your tank is not going to work for breeding glowlights. To successfully breed tetras you really need two tanks or a continuous breeding tank. the tank needs to be stuffed with plants and you need another tank for the parents once they lay eggs. the best way though is a continuos breeding tank, basically it is a tank with a compartment for the parents, and a gentle water flow pulls the eggs through a grate and into a separate area for they fry, the water is filtered through a sponge. Google continuos breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom