How do you breed tetras? PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alvinsguppies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello:) My name is Alvin and I have five neon tetras (I think two of them are females, pictures included) also I have a female guppy and two male guppies. Also I have over 30 baby guppies up for sale. So I plan on breeding the tetras but I have no clue what so ever how it's all done! Do I need to put them in the breeder for a certain amount of time? Or what? Please tell me ASAP!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391235459.436601.jpg
That is a picture of three of my tetras. You can see there are two with large bellies and one that has none. The other two tetras are males for sure. Please help me, I only had fish for half a year, so I would love any help provided!

I'm not sure if you'll get much info because I pretty sure all neon tetras are wild caught. Therefor, they aren't bred in home aquaria

Recent advances have made breeding neons possible but it is still difficult. If you'd like, I'd advise setting up a spawning mop.

To breed neons takes some work. You need to set up a tank with lots of leaf litter and driftwood. You need to keep the light dim, preferably only ambient light. Light destroys the eggs. A breeding mop is a good idea because the eggs are so tiny and they need to be kept out of the light until they hatch. Here is a great article on how to breed and raise neons. How to breed Neon tetras | Features | Practical Fishkeeping It can be done and I hope to try it one day soon.

I'm not sure if you'll get much info because I pretty sure all neon tetras are wild caught. Therefor, they aren't bred in home aquaria

All neons all captive bred and the ones that are wild caught are rare and/or sold locally. I think you've mistaken neons for "green neons" that are all wild caught. Neons have been over bred in the aquarium hobby for years making them extremely easy to care for because they adapt to the aquarium much easily and make them good beginner fish...

Tetras lay eggs but I think I can help. One of my Dad's tetras is pregnant. The eggs are in her stomach. You just have to wait.

All neons all captive bred and the ones that are wild caught are rare and/or sold locally. I think you've mistaken neons for "green neons" that are all wild caught. Neons have been over bred in the aquarium hobby for years making them extremely easy to care for because they adapt to the aquarium much easily and make them good beginner fish...

Hmm maybe so...things have changed over recent years in fish keeping so much!

Back
Top Bottom