How do you know if Gourami's have bred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
As above: How do you tell? My male is chasing my female around everywhere, usually away from the bubblenest, but he often leaves the nest unattended... How do I know?

[youtube]

Woahhhh! It's happening! I just caught the end of it! =) Delighted Gourami parent-to-be! :D :D :D

The biggest problem for me is that where Mr. G has built the nest is completely in-amongst other plants so I can't see it at all, thus I can't see if there are any wigglers etc. There's literally no angle where I get a clear view. Guess the first thing I'll see will be the free swimming offspring?

I've been dropping a few drops of LiqiFry 1 around the nest and on it, hoping it'll permeate through. We'll see, I will probably loss this first batch.

Are they in a community tank? If so then you might want to consider moving the babies out as soon as they are freeswimming. They are going to be small enough to be eaten by pretty much anything for quite a while, so the odds of predation are really really high.

No, they are in a specific gourami breeding tank with the male and female and a small pleco.

Good. Sounds like you are doing what you can. It should be a few days between the mating and the eggs actually hatching. Then a few more days till they are freeswimming, so I wouldn't be feeding just yet. You really need to get an eye on what's going on in there so you can determine when its time to feed.

I have a wee 3 gal tank running to shift the new borns temporarily while they grow.

Goodness! Gourami fry are utterly minuscule! How often to feed them liquid food?

Is that necessary in a larger tank? This tank is half full of water and is 3ft by 1 by 1. It's fairly large.

/ I'm just worried about adding water which kills them.

No, not in a larger tank. I was talking about after you transfer them to the 3g.

When you do water changes on the small tank, just age the water overnight and temp match before adding.

Well I haven't seen a baby for a few days despite still feeding them and changing the water in the big tank. I didn't think that they'd survive the first round anyway. Better luck next time for me!

Back
Top Bottom