How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cichildlife said:
They look like they grew a lil! Yay! Nd good luck keep us updated

I have a question... should I keep the two lil fry in the five gallon with the mama, or should I keep the fry separated? I can keep them in the lil cup I took pics of them in for now... I want to make sure they get food.

pam916 said:
You really don't need to move the females out of the fry tank. You need to have floating plants for the babies to hide in. Hornwort works well. If you can't find real plants then get the plastic kind and let them float at the top of the tank. They may eat a few but more than enough to populate your tank will survive. I think guppies drop babies about once a month. If you are going to separate the babies then get one of the net traps that they sell at walmart and catch the babies and put them in the net until they get large enough the parents will not eat them.

But the problem is... well the two fry that I have had so far have state at the bottom. They never moved. If I put floating plants up there will they move up and stay up there?

About half of the fry would be weak and sit at the bottom the other half will instinctively dart for cover. If you can plant it with something that will span the whole thing from top to bottom you stand a good chance of keeping most fry. After a few hours most fry will swim up to the plant anyway and rest in amongst the leaves.

Aron said:
About half of the fry would be weak and sit at the bottom the other half will instinctively dart for cover. If you can plant it with something that will span the whole thing from top to bottom you stand a good chance of keeping most fry. After a few hours most fry will swim up to the plant anyway and rest in amongst the leaves.

Well I dont have anything to cover the gravel. This is the best I can do right now...

That looks like a really good birthing tank, well done for covering up the filter! Well you look pretty much set for your new arrivals. And don't worry if you have missed them because your female can have three or four bathches of fry without coming into contact with a male again, near enough exactly four week after you noticed your first couple of fry!

Aron said:
That looks like a really good birthing tank, well done for covering up the filter! Well you look pretty much set for your new arrivals. And don't worry if you have missed them because your female can have three or four bathches of fry without coming into contact with a male again, near enough exactly four week after you noticed your first couple of fry!

Lol thanks! I also have two other females that are pregnant but they aren't close to birth yet.

The square I was referring to can be seen in one of mine here, looks about ready... As it is about to drop it's squares off even more! Hope it helps!

I have a question... should I keep the two lil fry in the five gallon with the mama, or should I keep the fry separated? I can keep them in the lil cup I took pics of them in for now... I want to make sure they get food.
Thats up to you, but if I were you I would separate them. The plant you hung on the side was a good idea though. Next time you go to a pet store, you can get fake baby grass that just sits on the bottom or you can plant a couple real plants down there. My first guppy's first drop was only 2. They both lived and I still have them.:)

Yeh, it's possible she is done. Keep an eye on her in a few weeks time because it's roughly once a month she will drop. You could always leave her for the full time in her own tank as she will have a couple more batches of fry without coming into contact with a male.

I wouldn't personally do that because guppies like company but depends how desperate you are for your fry.

Well I have two other females that are pregnant. Should I move the other two in the tank with her, so she has company, and in case the other females have their fry?

Well I have two other females that are pregnant. Should I move the other two in the tank with her, so she has company, and in case the other females have their fry?
Personally, i would just put her back in the bigger community. If you put the other females in there with her, you stand a greater chance of your fry getting eaten. Honestly, I am sure she is fine on her own for a little bit too.

absolutangel04 said:
Personally, i would just put her back in the bigger community. If you put the other females in there with her, you stand a greater chance of your fry getting eaten. Honestly, I am sure she is fine on her own for a little bit too.

But I think she's gonna have more fry. So if I put her back in the ten gallon tank, if she had the fry the chance of them getting eaten is almost certain.

Cichildlife said:
If you put lots of plants in you will have some survivers

Base on the picture I posted earlier, do u think that is enough plants for a lot to survive with 3 adult females??

But I think she's gonna have more fry. So if I put her back in the ten gallon tank, if she had the fry the chance of them getting eaten is almost certain.
Right. Sorry, I temporarily forgot that you think she will have more fry.
She will be fine on her own in the 5 gallon for a while. Guppies are not schoolers. While it seems that they appreciate company, she is totally fine on her own for a while. I wouldn't worry about that. I still have doubts that she is suddenly going to drop more fry, but it is hard to tell just from pictures.:) So, just keep an eye out for more and when you are confident that she is done, put her back in the bigger tank. She will be fine until then.:)

Ok, I will move the other two pregnant females to the five gallon.

Back
Top Bottom