how do you spawn your bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
absolutangel04 said:
That is so great! Congrats on the eggs. I hope your fry develop well too. I bet they will be very pretty since the mom and dad are so lovely. :) I have a similar looking betta pair I would like to try to spawn someday.
What are your plans for the fry? Are you going to separate them all right away, or wait for them to grow a little bit?

Well I am going to remove the male when the fry are free swimming, it should be 3-4 days from what I've read. And then I guess I wil just see how many I get and go from there. From what I've read the male fry should be removed when they start showing aggression.

Honestly I didn't think this would work so I am not 100% sure how I am going to handle all of the fry. I was thinking rubbermaid tubs with some sort of divider, I've got extra filters and heaters.

I am thinking my empty 55 gallon in the garage can easily be set up as a betta grow out tank!

j0el1212 said:
Pics please lol

Nothing more to see right now, just the male guarding the nest. I am curious to see how many fry I will get out of this. I've read anywhere from 50-500. And then only about a 50% survival rate. I'm hoping less because I don't think I'm prepared for that much fry. Oh my.

Seriously one time I had a 12 gallon tank of female bettas and about 5 males in separate tanks. I could never get any of them to spawn. This was years ago and this time around I just happen to have one male and one female because that's what my kids picked out and I was like, meh, ill stick em together and see if anything happens. I am really amazed they spawned because I was expecting failure.

Luckily I am able to provide a suitable setup for the fry, I just gotta wait and see how many fry I get and decide what the easiest way will be to do this. Also I keep my house at 76 so jarring the males with frequent water changes is also an option. I have a few local pet stores that will hopefully buy some... I've sold back fish for credit many times in the past. If nothing they will take them for free, and my Local per store treats their bettas well.

Any body in Lake county FL wanna come get some betta fry? Lol

So just visited local pet store and the owner said he will buy the fry when they reach a decent size for 1/3 of the price they sell them for!

I don't think I would make any profit... Lol but at least I have something I can do with them!

jetajockey said:
Getting them to that size might prove challenging, but that is a very fair price, sounds like an honest lfs.

Yes they are pretty decent. I know it will be a lot of work growing them out. I'm thinking of using some big steralite containers so I can heat and filter the water, and then some sort of insert that can go on top and divide the males. Like maybe mesh or something, I don't know. I have an idea in my head, when I build it I will take a picture.

hey there is a place called basement bettas he has a lot of info on this web site

Almost 24 hours and I don't see anything yet... Im supposed to see some little hair like extensions or something at this point. I hope he didn't eat the eggs... He is still hanging out under the nest but swims to the other side of the tank occasionally as well.

Male seems to still be tending the nest, although he does swim around the tank as well, I hope this is normal

Good to hear it all seems good so far.
How big do they get before they start showing aggression? Just curious because I have heard some different theories about when you actually need to separate the males out, but I have not researched it too heavily.
I can't wait to see the little ones! I hope you get a few survivors. Do bettas commonly eat their first batch like some cichlids do?

absolutangel04 said:
Good to hear it all seems good so far.
How big do they get before they start showing aggression? Just curious because I have heard some different theories about when you actually need to separate the males out, but I have not researched it too heavily.
I can't wait to see the little ones! I hope you get a few survivors. Do bettas commonly eat their first batch like some cichlids do?

I don't know ... I really hope he doesn't eat them but I don't see anything yet so I am afraid he may have eaten the eggs. They say most betta males only eat the eggs if they are bad or they eat only eggs that go bad, and also they eat fry that are sickly... And sometimes they eat the eggs the first time spawning.

As far as how fast they grow, I've also read they grow very slow and that it varies depending on what you feed, size of tank, etc. And when the males start showing aggression they should be removed. From what I've read it seems to start around 6-8 weeks.

Update ... I have fry! They are so tiny, saw the papa catching them and pitting them back in the nest as they fell... Yay!

EDIT: tried to get a pic but they are almost microscopic... It's going to be a while before they get big enough for photo shoots. :D

Update- papa is still tending the nest, fry are still almost too small to see. I've seen 1 or 2 fall from the bubblenest and scooped back in, but when I look directly at the nest I can't see fry at all.

Back
Top Bottom