Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long before my molly gives birth?

Can anyone tell me how long before my molly gives birth? I don't know if i should put her into a breeding container.... i don't want her to abort from stress!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407928341036.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	246598   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407928361547.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	246599  

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Can anyone tell me how long before my molly gives birth? I don't know if i should put her into a breeding container.... i don't want her to abort from stress!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Hello Pol...

Don't worry about when. Livebearers can hold off on birthing until the time is right for fry survival. The best thing to do is keep the water as pure as possible with large, regular water changes. When you change the water, make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt, about a teaspoon or two for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. I've kept Livebearers for some years and am a fan of using a little aquarium salt. The fish will be a bit healthier with a regular dose added to their tank water. Your Mollie is a brackish water fish, so the need for salt is more important. The combination of a lot pure, warm water and a little salt will encourage birthing if the female is close.

Just one reporter's opinion who keeps a lot of livebearing fish.

Do what you feel is best.

B

Tags
birth, long, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com