how long before she has babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed my yellow female guppy is very fat with a large black spot at the back of her belly? how soon does she have before she has the babies? I dont want to keep her in the breeder container for long because it stresses her out. here is a picture, thanks for your help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130210_121300.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130210_121300.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 94
  • ForumRunner_20130210_121325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130210_121325.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20130210_121347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130210_121347.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 97
She seems slightly gravid but isn't close to being squared off yet. Go ahead and take her out of the breeder. She shouldn't be ready to drop for another week or so.

Putting her in the breeder could stress her out and cause her to absorb the fry. Be aware they like to drop in the late night hours.

ok I will let her back out. I guess I thought her spot seemed darker than it is. maybe the picture isnt a good enough angle. I will let her out and just watch her for the signs that she is getting ready. thanks everyone

I have seen pregnant fish myself, and to be honest, I think you may as well just put her in there the moment you see one pop out, it is most likely that the fry will only leave about 5-8 living healthy ones, leave her in the breeding tank until you are absolutely certain she has finished and then put her slowly into the other tank (if you leave her in there for too long the fry become her food source) hope this helped

That is helpful. How long does it take for her to have her babies one she starts?

I would take her out. Keeping her in tht cup will stress her and possibly cause her to abort the babies. Wait until the bottom of her belly is squared off truly then put her in. This was my guppy right before I put it gave birth. Too bad I didn't have a breeding box last year when I took this.

Attachments

• image-3354721155.jpg
    image-3354721155.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 82
She is not in that cup. I only had her in that so i could get a picture of her. She is in a double breeder net right now. I doubt my picture shows it well enough but her gravis spot is very dark. She must be very close. She does not seem stressed in the breeder net. I put a leafy plant in there with her. I have another female that is fat almost all the way up to her nose and her gravis spot seems to be moved up her belly. Its almost close to her side fins. What does this mean?

Also, I see there's a betta fish. Do you keep it with strictly females or are there males in the tank too

My beta has free roam of the tank with males and female guppys. He doesnt bother any of them. Actually he mingles very well with them, I was pretty surprised

Having a Betta with Guppies successfully all depends on the personality of the fish. There is nothing wrong with having a Betta in a community tank if the fish is showing no signs of aggression. I myself have had a Betta in a community with Guppies, Tetras, and Angels with no issues what so ever.

I would love a betta in my tank but if he is aggressive, I don't have any other tanks to out him in except a big fish bowl. Not the most practical especially since I live in Canada so the house temp would require a heater. It's so cold here :/

I have lyre tail and cobra tail guppys as well as some fancy guppys all have long colorful tails and my beta couldnt care less... he must be pretty passive

I would love a betta in my tank but if he is aggressive, I don't have any other tanks to out him in except a big fish bowl. Not the most practical especially since I live in Canada so the house temp would require a heater. It's so cold here :/

They sell very small heaters for bowls and 1gallon tanks for under $10 so it might be worth trying. You could always get a female beta too. They are still pretty and much less aggressive

Do you think she is getting close yet? I have a hard time telling if she's squared off yet

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130216_102213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_102213.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20130216_102242.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_102242.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130216_102306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_102306.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 52
I don think so. Just be patient. One day you will see your fish and notice its gotten a lot fatter and squared off. You'll know when she's ready

Actually i just went in the room to get some clothes and she had already had them! She had six little babies so I moved the little ones out in case she is not done!

Back
Top Bottom