Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
How Long Till Birth?

Hi my swordtail is pregers and i just noticed today 5/26/11 that the fry have hatched inside her and u can see 3-4 just by her gravid spot alone. They have black eyes. When can I expect fry? I just put her in a breeder box so my platy doesn't hunt them down. Councedently she is also pregnant but not as fat and has a noticeable gravid spot. How long? Thanx

__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115 View Post
Hi my swordtail is pregers and i just noticed today 5/26/11 that the fry have hatched inside her and u can see 3-4 just by her gravid spot alone. They have black eyes. When can I expect fry? I just put her in a breeder box so my platy doesn't hunt them down. Councedently she is also pregnant but not as fat and has a noticeable gravid spot. How long? Thanx
If you can already see the frys eyes inside her it wont be too much longer. Watch for her to square off on the bottom, most fish will do this prior to delivery.... usually no more than 3 days. Watch her in the breeder box, this often stresses out momma and she could hold them in or even possibly abort the fry.
__________________
~Tasha ~ Live~love~laugh ~
For help with cycling and other great articles:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha

If you can already see the frys eyes inside her it wont be too much longer. Watch for her to square off on the bottom, most fish will do this prior to delivery.... usually no more than 3 days. Watch her in the breeder box, this often stresses out momma and she could hold them in or even possibly abort the fry.
What exactly do u mean by squar off also I know what causes the stress in a breeder box and have fixed the problem
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 700
when you look at the pregnant fish from the side instead of being round they'll be more flat on the bottom like this \__/
__________________
~Tasha ~ Live~love~laugh ~
For help with cycling and other great articles:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha
when you look at the pregnant fish from the side instead of being round they'll be more flat on the bottom like this \__/
Oh I thought u ment w the gravid spot! Shes almost like that.
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Posts: 1,306
Ahhh u r so lucky. My little girl likes to be FAT I guess.
__________________
Do you want your Signature Picture or Avatar made?
I'll Make Your Signature Picture and Avatar
EndlersEatGuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman13
Ahhh u r so lucky. My little girl likes to be FAT I guess.
No I'm not. I put her in thurs and she stil didn't give birth
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 700
some fish will NOT give birth in those things.. she may just hold them in or abort them.
__________________
~Tasha ~ Live~love~laugh ~
For help with cycling and other great articles:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha
some fish will NOT give birth in those things.. she may just hold them in or abort them.
So wat do I do?
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
If she hasn't birthed soon, maybe you should just let her out. That's a long time for her to be in there IMO. Good luck and all goes well.
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape
If she hasn't birthed soon, maybe you should just let her out. That's a long time for her to be in there IMO. Good luck and all goes well.
But then the fry will die
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
Maybe not all of them if they have adequate hiding spots
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,046
Another option is to use a tank divider and keep the expectant mother on one side and then just move her after she drops.
__________________
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Another option is to use a tank divider and keep the expectant mother on one side and then just move her after she drops.
I just did that. I put her in a tank w an injured female fancy guppy. It's a 2.5 gal and I divided it and put them in the side w the filter and heater. The guppy can get from one side to the other but the swordtail can't. I'm hopping she gives birth soon then I can put the babies into a smaller holding net. And i did put alot of plants in the same side as the swordtail just incase
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115

I just did that. I put her in a tank w an injured female fancy guppy. It's a 2.5 gal and I divided it and put them in the side w the filter and heater. The guppy can get from one side to the other but the swordtail can't. I'm hopping she gives birth soon then I can put the babies into a smaller holding net. And i did put alot of plants in the same side as the swordtail just incase
Great. I am glad another option was found. I am getting swords next week. Thanks for the education.
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape

Great. I am glad another option was found. I am getting swords next week. Thanks for the education.
Yes she's fine she should give birth today. If u need any help w the swords ask me they're a beautiful fish and I am still deciding wether or not to breed them or fancy guppies.
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115

Yes she's fine she should give birth today. If u need any help w the swords ask me they're a beautiful fish and I am still deciding wether or not to breed them or fancy guppies.
Will do. Thanks I am sure I will!
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
She still didn't give birth. But she got fatter...
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115
She still didn't give birth. But she got fatter...
I have 7 female red velvets now. Getting 2 males and one female from Severum Mama and HN1 delivered today. Those 3 are close to being Montezumas. You inspired me! Thanks and stand by to help if you can with my questions.
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 589
Does the filter have a sponge attachment or is it a strainer? If it is a strainer, the fry are small enough to get sucked up into the filter.
__________________
tlkng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
birth, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long till eggs hatch phatpaul Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 7 05-17-2011 04:55 AM
How long till it sinks? redruckus Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 03-03-2011 07:47 AM
How long till my next fish? kdogg85 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 02-15-2010 03:53 PM
how long till pods show up? sirfishmaster Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 11-24-2004 10:10 AM
How long till they're grown up? juliemichelle Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 10-10-2003 05:38 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.