How long until my platy gives birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dangreen7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm pretty sure that my platy here is pregnant due to the gravid spot, but I have never had a pregnant platy before and I was wondering if any one could tell me oh long it will be until she drops, as I don't want to keep her in a breeder/ separate tank for a long time. If it's any help she has had the gravid spot for just over a week now I believe. Any help is appreciated, thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398722795.102356.jpg
P.S please excuse the rubbish in the background of the photo, this was in my quarantine/ back up tank and I have not got round to tidying up behind it! Lol

Ok, no worries, thanks for the advice. The picture is not very clear but she dose seem to have a gravid spot in real life, if I can I will upload a clearer image I will, but you are probably right. Thanks again.

She might just be in the early stages, but I personally wouldn't say she is pregnant. My guppies have had gravid spots that are big but they aren't pregnant

Ok thanks fishguy, this is my first time with Platies so you are probably right. I will keep an eye on her over the next week or so, and post any updates.

I do have a male, and two females. Yeah I have heard they breed allot so even if she is not preggers I bet one will be soon!

A guppy and a platy have completely different body shapes, she may not be pregnant however my platy looked like that and two days later she had 36 babies

Thanks for help guys, both very useful. I guess only time will tell but I will keep ya'll posted! ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399886364.126878.jpgshe looks allot smaller this morning, and has almost no gravid spot, I guess she gave birth last night but no sign of fry ?

You're probably right, keep a look out. They should be alive seeing as you have lots of plants for them to hide in

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom