How Many Guppy Fry Can I Stock In 30 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have about 6 adult guppies and they just had about 50-70 guppy fry.
Of these, maybe 10 are a month or so old and the rest are still tiny.

I'm wondering how many guppy fry I can safely have in my tank, I've had this setup for a couple of months with no ammonia spikes or anything.

I have the entire tank covered with Anacharis and Giant HairGrass with some driftwood growing Anubias.

I was wondering if a Pleco would fit...

Thanks in advance for the help!

I don't have anything like overfiltration,
I just have enough filtration for the recommended 30 gallons.
I was hoping the plants would do something though,
It's a moderately high light tank.

The plants won't do anything other than eat up the nitrates, but even then I would still do water changes. The filtration is okay, but usually I would recommend getting a filter that is rated double the size of the tank, like for 50-70 gallons. No such thing as overfiltering, just too much flow.

Wellll, I have at least a couple hundred endler's, mostly fry, in a 30 long. Also have several breeding adult super red BN and a couple broods of their fry growing out in that tank. Last week I stripped it down for a thorough cleaning and counted 30 2" BN juvies, and didn't even try to count the smaller/younger ones. I did sell/move out a dozen of the 2" juvies last week.
Filtration is an Eheim Pro 2026 canister filter and 2 air-driven sponge filters. Water is 1/2-2/3 filled with Najas, which does keep the nitrates under control quite well, along with the duckweed that I scoop out every couple weeks. Light is a 24" dual T5 coralife with 6700K bulbs.

i'd say no to the pleco...
my friend has a big tank with a 1.5ft pleco that attacks the feeder fish he gets for the oscar and aligator gar...
so, i'd say a pleco would attack the fry because of how small they will be to it.

Your Guppy Fry

Hello MC...

I have a couple of 30 Gs with about 150 Fancy Guppies of various sizes and a couple of two year old Albino Corydoras in both of them. I just float a lot of Water wisteria and Pennywort in the tank and change out about 60 to 70 percent of the water every week and the fish are happy and healthy. Guppies are very comfortable in large numbers.

I also have several 55 Gs with who knows how many Guppies and Corydoras in them. Hard to tell, the tanks have been running for years and are seriously overgrown with Anubias, Cryptocoryne, Java fern, Water wisteria, Singapore moss and Pennywort.

I just make sure I change out a large amount of water every 6 to 7 days and the fish and plants take care of themselves.

I would discourage putting any large mouthed fish into the Guppy tank, or there's potential to lose some of your fry. If you want a community tank, then add some peaceful fish with very small mouths.

B

I currently have 2 30 gallon guppy tanks, 1 29, and 1 45.
What about a small pleco like a rubberlip, bristlenose, bulldog, or clown?
I have housed an albino bristlenose pleco - she died when the heater broke. I now have four juvenile clown plecos. My experience has been that these 4" variety plecos are fun with guppies.
However, plecos have a large bioload and if you are just wanting an algae cleaner, there are LOTS of options.
My favorite guppy tankmates are Cory catfish.

Back
Top Bottom