How to breed discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, is there an easy way to breed discus cheaply in a 40 gallon? And what would I feed the fry?
Thanks

Hey... the man knows... basically with aquaria. The cooler the fish? Harder it is to breed.. discus are kind of pretty cool huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you feed the fry? It helps to do some basic research, my friend! Discus fry feed off their parent's slime for the first few weeks. Aside from that... What Popparyno said

Hey... the man knows... basically with aquaria. The cooler the fish? Harder it is to breed.. discus are kind of pretty cool huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Defenitly, I was thinking I out getting some then I saw some of PoppaRyno's discus and started seriously wanting the fish but I don't think I have the time or skill to keep them though so I might just stick with an easier fish :(

Thanks though

Defenitly, I was thinking I out getting some then I saw some of PoppaRyno's discus and started seriously wanting the fish but I don't think I have the time or skill to keep them though so I might just stick with an easier fish :(

Thanks though

No, anyone can keep discus with proper care. Breeding them, now thats a whole other animal. What size tank do you have? A group of 5 is considered minimum for proper group size and a 75 gallon is what you will pretty much need for that and a few schooling fish. Im sure Poppa would be glad to help you learn about keeping them.

i'm putting 6 in a 90 this spring, they are difficult and the tank needs to be cycled i will have my other fish in their for a few months before i add them, if i breed them i will put a pair in a 30 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom