Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How to care for pregnant platy

I have a very pregnant platy in our tank, and another platy is a bully to her. Today, she suddenly began hiding and so I'm wondering if she is ready to give birth in the next day or so. The problem is that the bully will chase her around, and today when she began hiding in an ornament tree we have in the tank, he would wait outside the opening, guarding it. I'm scared that he may bother her when she begins to give birth, but I'm not sure if I should remove him for however long it will take for the babies to come.
I should preface, he has never attacked her, but will poke at her and bothers her to where she bolts away from him when he's "in a bad mood" as I put it. Other times, they swim together happily. I don't want to have him isolated in a small tank for days, but I don't know what to do to keep him away from her for the birthing.
This is my first time having a pregnant platy, and I worrying over nothing?

Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes you can isolate her from the other fish by placing her in a breeder net or breeder box for Livebearers.

Tags
care, platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com