How to in courage my parrot fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. Here's how:

Start by raising the tank temperature 2-3 degrees (but DO NOT exceed 84 degrees F.) Then do a 10-15% water change with R/O or distiller water. Feed live foods a couple times a week for conditioning.

Aim to keep your pH no higher than 7.2!!! Though optimally, try for 6.6-6.8.

Parrot cichlids are substrate spawners, so keep that in mind. They are also usually very good parents, so keep the fry with their parents until the next batch of eggs is laid. As for feeding the fry, 2 days after hatching, their yolk sacks will be consumed and they must be fed newly hatched brine shrimp.

Something to keep in mind...it has been thought that Parrot cichlids could not breed because the male was sterile. I'm talking specifically about blood parrots - not bubblegum or jellybeans, those are a wholly different topic. Anyway, rumour has it that some fish farms raising blood parrots have been injecting the males with a hormone to make them fertile. I trust that you'll do your own complimentary research to double check every fact or claim you hear.

Good luck with breeding :) have fun!

Brilliant cheers for the advice that was easier with out being judged on what I'm already doing, as we all learn along the way. Cheers:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brilliant cheers for the advice that was easier with out being judged on what I'm already doing, as we all learn along the way. Cheers:)

Who's judging? When you post to a public/dedicated forum you're going to get opinions, and you know what they say about opinions;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey I have a pair that spawn, unfortunately no fertile eggs come out of the two. If I have to guess your parrots are two young atm to start laying eggs, mine are roughly twice the size of those. Cheers

Right ok how big are yours any chance of a photo?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422463776.060920.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422463795.733363.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422463822.065027.jpg
The first two photos are pretty lucky cause she came out when I came up to the tank, they usually spend 3-5 days in that boat while tending to the eggs, I don't feed them during this time but they usually go nuts and are quite active outside the boat cave after breeding, the third photo is the bigger one, that photo was taken in November!

Yeah nice an healthy one, I would say mine are getting there now then

Yeah mine just started interacting with me also, I put my hand in to replace a plant and the came right up to my hand and started swimming around and poking at my hand ?

That's my bigger parrot

Nice he's getting big! Also I feed my bp"s the pellets but they also eat brine shrimp and bloodworms as a treat I usually give to my angels which could be helping why the spawn so much

That's what I feed mine on, what's bp,s

Oh sorry you meant the parrots I thought it was a term of food pellet

Yeah but some have the help from other cichlids which I presume increases the chance slightly for a small chance

Back
Top Bottom