How To Move Eggs From Tank Sides to Breeding Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Corydoras laid eggs (again!). They are on the glass sides of my tank, and I'd like to remove some to a floating breeding tank, to put into my 20L which will be done cycling in a week or so.

But how do I safely remove them from the glass tank side?

EDIT: Pics are on now my home site (link in signature): go to the "Aquarium" page and scroll to the bottom (if you've visited my site before, you may need to click your browser's "refresh" or "reload" button to see recent changes).

EDIT #2: Trying inline image...

P1000578%20detail.jpg

Cory eggs are pretty strong. I've used a tooth pick to loosen them off the side and then easily remove them. People say you can use razor blades but I was always afraid of hurting the eggs.

Good luck with your hatch!! Get some microworms if you can for the fry :)

Also ditch the white one.. Likely not fertilized....

Moose

I transferred about 1/4 to 1/5 of the eggs (all of those in the photo; more eggs were laid in a few other locations in the tank) to my floating breeding tank. Now all I can do it wait and hope for the best, I guess!

Well the eggs are hatching! I have 4-5 fry in the breeding tank already, with a fair number of eggs still to hatch, it appears! :) I can't wait to feed them some hard-boiled egg yolk tomorrow morning!

I think the best way is to use a toothpick and place them on something flat like a small chunk of marble or any flat ornament. Then place in a submerged container. Don't let the eggs hit open air.

Well, the eggs in my breeding tank hatched, but overnight the fry either escaped or died... :(

I think I'll buy a new breeding tank, perhaps one with netting. I'm concerned that my current acrylic floating one has openings that are a little too large and yet still doesn't allow for enough water flow. I positioned my current acrylic floating breeding tank right in front of my powerhead, and this help keep fungus from forming until after the fry escaped/died.

Try to pick up some microworms for your next hatch! You could consider have a few of the eggs hatch in a smaller tupperwear type container with a single snail to clean up after the fry and daily water changes.

I'l try that, webmoose! My Cory laid eggs again yesterday, but my (beloved, but rapacious) "Botia Salwnsis" loaches got to them before I did...

If I go the tupperware route, I assume that I should I put an airstone in it too?

airstone is always a good idea. Once everyone gets a taste for the eggs they seem to end up waiting for them and then it is you versus fish for getting them out in time ;)

Back
Top Bottom