How to safely move 1 month old fry to new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
My platy gave birth to about 50 (yes, that many) fry a little over a month ago. She gave birth to them in a 10 gallon tank with a separator down the middle. I purchased a 29 gallon tank after that and moved the mom and the other fish over to that one, leaving the babies to have the 10 gallon to themselves. Unfortunately, I noticed that the dresser I had both tanks on didn't seem to be able to support the weight of both tanks, so I moved the 10 gallon over to my desk. In order to do that, I had to catch all 48 little fry with a net and place them in a plastic bag (because you can't move a tank with water in it). They're in a breeder box in the big tank now, but I want to move them back to the 10 gallon (its been a week, so the water should be okay). I tested it though, and the alkalinity is a little high. I just don't want them to be water shocked or whatever, because I've had 4 die since the move, and I don't really want to lose any more. I think the fact that one of my full grown platys may have ick may also be a problem. I've been medicating daily, and it seems to be going away, but I think the medicine or the disease itself may also be affecting the fry. I just want to safely move them ASAP.

Actually moving them isn't really the problem haha. I just need to know if it is safe to move them and what I should do for the alkalinity (of it's even an issue). I think a turkey baster wouldn't work anyway, they're getting pretty big haha.

It's not so much the reading, but the difference between both tanks. I'd say use a few gallons from the parent tank, but you say you've been medicating, so don't do that. Try a PWC in the 10 gallon to get the temperature, PH, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate readings in line.

They'll have a better chance in clean non-medicated water with more room to swim in.

If your larger tank is infected as you say it is, ten why move infected fish? If its ich then I'd keep them there, kinda like you have to 100. Treat the tank before you move the disease ... Just my thought

Yeah, I'm glad I read up on it a little more before I did anything. Trying to kill the ich first with heat, meds, and water changes. I'm just concerned because now it looks like the fry have it.

I wouldn't move hem untill you have killed he ick off, it's hit settin yourself up for worse

The best way....

My platy gave birth to about 50 (yes, that many) fry a little over a month ago. She gave birth to them in a 10 gallon tank with a separator down the middle. I purchased a 29 gallon tank after that and moved the mom and the other fish over to that one, leaving the babies to have the 10 gallon to themselves. Unfortunately, I noticed that the dresser I had both tanks on didn't seem to be able to support the weight of both tanks, so I moved the 10 gallon over to my desk. In order to do that, I had to catch all 48 little fry with a net and place them in a plastic bag (because you can't move a tank with water in it). They're in a breeder box in the big tank now, but I want to move them back to the 10 gallon (its been a week, so the water should be okay). I tested it though, and the alkalinity is a little high. I just don't want them to be water shocked or whatever, because I've had 4 die since the move, and I don't really want to lose any more. I think the fact that one of my full grown platys may have ick may also be a problem. I've been medicating daily, and it seems to be going away, but I think the medicine or the disease itself may also be affecting the fry. I just want to safely move them ASAP.

The best way to move fry is with as much water from where they are coming from HOWEVER, since that tank is sick, moving the fish at this point will only carry the disease to the new tank.
I'd suggest you finish the treatment in the main tank (where the fry are now) and when you have cleared up the Ick, do a 10%-20% water change in the main tank. (Save the water that you have removed in case of problems.)About 3 days later, if the fry have shown no ill effects from the water change, take 5 gals of the water from the main tank and put it and the fry back into the 10 gal. Add 1/2 gal. water to this tank daily or every 2 days until you have filled it up. This will be the gradual acclimation for the fry. Add 1 gal ( or up to 10% of water volume after the 5 gals were removed) water to the main tank daily until it is filled up as well. Since the fish had ick, you don't want to shock them again with a rapid water change. Should the fry not handle the post medicine water change, move them back into the water that you took out from the main tank. (You'll need to reacclimate them to the new water.) The hardier ones should survive if you keep the temps consistant between the 2 sources.

It's a lot of info, I know :D but not a lot of work. Good luck (y)

Update. I think I killed all the ich with heat and a little meds. Lost some fry, but not many. I moved them today with about half of the water from the parent tank. Seem to be doing well exploring their new environment. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom