How to see the birth due dates of swordtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do I know when my swordtail is giving birth? I prepared a tank, but don't know when to net them out, i wanted to keep the fries, is there a good way to see when approximately the due date is? Besides from the belly size.

Btw male bettas can mix with small fishes like swordtails, neon tetras? Some web-site post bettas on the compatibilities side.

Don't use a net on the fry. The net will basically kill them or the majority of them. If you are carefull you can syphon them out using an airline tube or scoop them out with a small cup.

I don't know the times on swordfish for how long until she's gonna pop but I would suggest looking at the tank AT least 1 time in the morning and 1 time at night. If you are that concerned with getting the fry out, then move the female over to the new tank. (I don't know what kind of tank you have setup though)

Before you do, answer these pls:
Is the new tank established? or connected to your main tank? or is it totally separate?

If its a new tank and on its own then, I would suggest not moving the female.

As for tankmates, I'll leave that up to others on this site.

I've bought an aquarium hatchery, Its connected to the tank, I think I would move them in, their bellies seem very big already.

Back
Top Bottom