I cross bred a glo danio with a zebra danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbsushi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought this was pretty cool. Has anyone ever bred a glo danio ( female ) with a zebra danio ( male ). I want to know how long they will take to mature and how much they can be sold for and where could they be sold at.

So far the eggs have hatched and the 2 day old fry are starting to show some neon green, yellow, and a mix of those 2 colors. Others are still clear. I have about 1 hundred fry and the parents were only in the spawning tank for half an hour.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404913956.070232.jpg

This is the female.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404914062.322779.jpg

This is one of the neon green fry

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They're not infertile, but they are patented, so it's illegal to sell their offspring.

Is it illegal even if it is a crossbreed between a glo and zebra?

They're both zebra danios. Glofish are just zebra danios with a fluorescing protein implanted in them . Not worth much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IIRC, it is illegal to even breed them.

+1. To my knowledge, breeding them for purposes other than personal use ( and that is questionable based on your local laws) is an infringement on the patent. You can not sell or even give the offspring to anyone.

In reality, you really only bred a zebra danio to a zebra danio. The glo fish part is just a genetic mutation/implantation of a common zebra danio. If you bred one to , say, a GIANT danio, now THAT would be something special :D:lol: I would love to see a Giant Danio with a Zebra's stripes (y)

Sorry to be a downer :(

+1. To my knowledge, breeding them for purposes other than personal use ( and that is questionable based on your local laws) is an infringement on the patent. You can not sell or even give the offspring to anyone.

In reality, you really only bred a zebra danio to a zebra danio. The glo fish part is just a genetic mutation/implantation of a common zebra danio. If you bred one to , say, a GIANT danio, now THAT would be something special :D:lol: I would love to see a Giant Danio with a Zebra's stripes (y)

Sorry to be a downer :(

Ok. I'll try a giant zebra danio crossbreed

Or it could be the Marilyn Monroe-Albert Einstein complex, you could get a Giant Danio with stripes, or a Zebra Danio without stripes.

Or it could be the Marilyn Monroe-Albert Einstein complex, you could get a Giant Danio with stripes, or a Zebra Danio without stripes.

That's the fun part of hybridizing fish. You never know what you will get. You just have to be responsible with the outcome and not let any of them get loose. It could destroy an ecosystem :eek: Can you say FRANKENFISH??? :ROFLMAO: :facepalm:

That's the fun part of hybridizing fish. You never know what you will get. You just have to be responsible with the outcome and not let any of them get loose. It could destroy an ecosystem :eek: Can you say FRANKENFISH??? :ROFLMAO: :facepalm:

I'd really love to try hybridizing fish, what would you recommend for easy to breed egg layers?

I'd really love to try hybridizing fish, what would you recommend for easy to breed egg layers?

Crossbreed danio species. Cross guppies with mollies. Plates with swordtails. Beta fish. Different rasbora species.

To add, some of the African Cichlids seem easier to hybridize as well. Keep in mind that hybrid fish don;t always work out in respect to color and proportion. You may get entire spawns of deformed fish.
Instead of hybrid breeding, you may want to line breed a single specie to develop a new color or attribute. That is how most of today's aquarium fish were developed. They would also be easier to sell as they would be considered pure breds. If you sell a fish as pure that is a hybrid, you are not only misleading your buyer but could be the catalyst for a whole other set of problems. Just saying ;)

This is completely my opinion but why hybridize at all? Nature has created so many wonderful, beautiful species of fish. Choose one of those rather than creating some hybrid.

This is completely my opinion but why hybridize at all? Nature has created so many wonderful, beautiful species of fish. Choose one of those rather than creating some hybrid.

I absolutely agree however, some very interesting fish, now common to the pet trade, were created through hybridization. The Parrot Cichlid & the Flowerhorn cichlid both come to mind here. The many hybridized African cichlids as well as Discus can also be put into this category as most colors offered today are far from "natural" colors. This is why I say one needs to be responsible when creating hybrids. (Personally, I'm not a fan of many of these fish :whistle:) But then you have to look at fish like the Red Swordtail and all color variations after that. It was developed as a hybrid cross between a Green Swordtail and a Red Platy. So are all hybrids "bad"? Maybe not. But where do we cross the line? Here's an article about man made fish that, in my opinion and theirs, have crossed that line of responsibility: The 10 worst man made fish | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

Just food for thought.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom