I Got Lucky!...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
As many of you may know...when choosing my fish for my 25 gallon tank...I got lucky and found a Molly who was extremely preggo. Well, shes due to give birth any day and so far I've gotten a 5 gallon clear plastic container to put the babies in with some carpeted fake plants for them to hide in.
Of course, the water is the same water from the tank.

I've read they will eat finely ground fish flakes...

But is there anything special these babies will need?

When do I move her into the tank to have her babies?

so far, my separate tank is setup for the fry with the same tank water, the hiding grass and some rocks. i have a heat lamp above it (i already had one so lol)... do i really need something for oxygen?

The top is completely open, but that wont circulate it as i understand so...

The thing is... I am now absolutely dead broke since wachovia decided to overdraft me $260 (long story) so... honestly at this point I have no gas in my car, and about $10 total I can spend for anything else. Any ideas? She's looking like shes going to bust in a matter of days..

Also, when do I move her to the separate tank to give birth?

The fry will do fine with finely ground flakes. That's all I feed my livebearer fry. They're fairly easy to care for.

I'd question the use of the heat lamp. I'm not sure it will heat the water much and it won't be very even if there's no water circulation. A proper heater and an established sponge filter would be best.

I've never been good with predicting the time of birth. I usually wait for the fry to drop and try to catch them before they get eaten.

I know what u mean about the heater. but my whole thought about heaters is...i keep the temp in our apartment at 73. The thermometer on the side says 76. They'll be ok I think. As for air circulation you are definitely right about air circulation. As for filtering, I think I'll pass and do small water changes since I'll have them very shortly. I don't think I'd need one if I'm selling them shortly after they're born. Right?

lol. air pumps aren't bad though, you can find cheapy ones at wal mart that will do the trick. i'm pretty sure the one we found at walmart was under $10

hm... yeah... I dunno...if I'm only going to have them long enough to pack them up and put them in my car... I'm not sure I'll even need that. Well...maybe I will.. I'll have to ponder that one.

well the fish store wont take them if they are too small. you might have to take care of them for a couple of weeks before they will take them (at least the LFS in my city). but i went to wal mart and for $10 you can get a 1 gal tank with a under gravel filter and a light and thats where i put my fry at. and you can remove the mother as soon as she has the babies she wont be bothered too much by it. shell be back to normal as soon as shes back to the general population ready to get preggo again lol, but you are on the right track tho and congrats!

Back
Top Bottom