I have a problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi my female swordtail is pregnant again and will square off next week and i don't know wat to do. My breeder box is housing her first babies and if I put her in a separate tank the babies could get eatn by my common guppy. As u can see I'm in kindof a pickle here. Please help!

You could try to partisan part of a tank using a large fishnet, but that'll only buy you time, either you need more tank space, less breeding, or a fish that feeds on swordtails.

You could be happy to lose them this time because you'll get more in like, a month?

1] Put in tonnes of floating plants is one option.
2] Get a 2ltr bottle of diet coke or whatever, empty then clean it. Cut off the bottom and poke tiny, tiny holes in it with a needle then use silicon to stick some suckers on to it so it sticks inside your tank. Leave some of the bottle sticking out of the water. It'll be sticking upside down, as in with the lid pointing down to the tank bottom (and keep the lid on!)

You could be happy to lose them this time because you'll get more in like, a month?

2] Get a 2ltr bottle of diet coke or whatever, empty then clean it. Cut off the bottom and poke tiny, tiny holes in it with a needle then use silicon to stick some suckers on to it so it sticks inside your tank. Leave some of the bottle sticking out of the water. It'll be sticking upside down, as in with the lid pointing down to the tank bottom (and keep the lid on!)
I agree. Floating plants are the way to go. Swordtail fry should be able to fend for themselves against a guppy.

Fry after about 2 weeks are perfectly able to survive in a tank that has even just a few plants.

Shetland James said:

Good idea. Wat I might do is move the guppy and let her brith in the tank w the breeder box. Then put tha babies using a turkey Baster into the box

Look u need to have a plant flowting on the top of the fishtank and it will help ur lil babies to b safe and not get eaten i have it like that and i have lots of babies

Whenever I was a kid me and my grandma used to keep fish and we would get clean loofas ( like for bathing with body wash :) ) u can get them everywhere!! We would rinse them well and spread them out in the top of the tank for the babies to hide in.. Seemed to work :)

Cyberesaul said:
Look u need to have a plant flowting on the top of the fishtank and it will help ur lil babies to b safe and not get eaten i have it like that and i have lots of babies

I do but I was goin to take the mom out after she gave birth

That works too. But with my swordtails, they don't give birth if they've been moved too early or while they're doing it.

zooking12 said:
That works too. But with my swordtails, they don't give birth if they've been moved too early or while they're doing it.

Oh well she did tha last time I moved her a week bfor

Yeah but I could never figure out when to move them. I used to put them in a breeder box, which worked, until it broke. So I just leave theem in the main aquarium which is soon to be heavily planted.

zooking12 said:
Yeah but I could never figure out when to move them. I used to put them in a breeder box, which worked, until it broke. So I just leave theem in the main aquarium which is soon to be heavily planted.

How did it break? Did u try buying a new one?

Back
Top Bottom