I have pink tail Fry !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themaryone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever had Chalceus macrolepidotus breed for them? My pink tails have twice now. I have succesfully raised just five fry from the first batch and was lucky enough to net out one lonely fry from the second batch five weeks later. I can not find any info on this breeding in captivity. Any help?

In 1980, a letter from Hiroshi Azuma was sent to Dr Herbert Axelrod describing, with photographs his success in his laboratory with breeding the Pink Tailed Chaleceus. He had even produced a pink version of the fish as well as a very long finned version. I do not know where today's stock originates, there do not seem to be many of them available so they are probably still wild caught. If they were being bred in the far east then it would seem there would be tons of them available since they lay 2000 to 3000 eggs at a time. You should be proud that you managed to tank breed yours. Pictures would be great! Bill

I'm working on pictures. I'm not technically inclined so my husband has promised to try and help my with that. I know my stock is wild caught my LFS was helpful with that info. My eyesight isn't that great so I have no idea what the eggs may look like. The fry were about 3/8 inch when first noticed both times. The first batch is now six weeks old and they are getting over an inch. Look for pics tomorrow! Thanks for the info.

OK I'm gonna try to post a pic of a fry at five weeks.

Attachments

• Pinktail Fry.jpg
    Pinktail Fry.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 101
That is very cool! I would love it if you could sell them and then you might be one of the first to claim tank bred pink tails sold to the retail trade here in the USA, Bill.

My LFS here in Seattle has already agreed to buy them so they can claim that very thing. So soon as they color up off they go! Here is a picture of two fry with my ember tetras.

Attachments

• P1160443.jpg
    P1160443.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom