I have Platy fry!!!...now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alcarinhwesta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My platy is giving birth right now and I am over-the-moon excited that I get to watch. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to keep the fry because our community tank is full. Also, this the first time I've ever had fry and I don't know what to do to keep them healthy!

Any suggestions?

You could also do what I do in my community tank. I just let them fend for themselves. I've only had 1 survivor, but my fish love the live food. Another possibility iss get a tank divider, and portion off a section for them to live in, care free, and then its larger than a breeder box. I personally use frozen brine shrimp cubes, even my larger fish love them, and its practically live food. If you have too many survivors though, craigslist them :)

Mine is a moot point now. Went to the store to get them food and when I came back, they all had passed :'(

No there in a breeder net in my 20. I did have a QT (a 5gl), but I have Betta in it. MOST of my fish are rescue's that I have saved from Walmart, or fish that people don't want anymore.

It is and it angers me. My friends mom had a Gold Gourami with two Oscars, and the Gourami was constanly picking on them, she told me to come get it or she was goin to flush it..

Platy/guppy/swordtail fry should be big should to eat crushed flakes. If you want to keep them in the tank, putting in some moss or dense-like plants tends to help. One plant that I've found works pretty well (aside from the wispy mossy plants) is surprisingly dwarf lily pads. One day when I was cleaning out my tanks, I saw like 10 baby guppies chilling between the pad and the surface, but it was medium...ly planted, so they had a chance to get up there.

Plants that I have found to be good for fry are Anachrias(spelling?) and Water Sprite, it grows thousands of tiny rootlets for the babies to hide within and provides excellent areas for tiny edible protozoans to thrive upon.

Plants that I have found to be good for fry are Anachrias(spelling?) and Water Sprite, it grows thousands of tiny rootlets for the babies to hide within and provides excellent areas for tiny edible protozoans to thrive upon.

Anachris messes around with the water parameters. Cabomba is a good plant for fry to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom