i have rainbow fish eggs! egg tank and primafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I use primafix in the egg tank for rainbows? They are turquoise and boesemani.

I put the spawning mop in two days ago and noticed eggs today! So I put them in a separate heated filtered tank. The entire mop actually ... and making a new mop to go in. I just don't know if primafix is safe to prevent fungus on the eggs?

Edit- I was reading online that rainbows can crossbreed so I'm going to mention these are for personal breeding not to sell or anything.

On another note if I am successful I may convince my husband to allow a separate tank for the rainbows and boesemani that I can place them in periodically with spawning mops for spawning purposes.... again this is my first attempt and if successful I will be setting up a tank for spawning each species separately.

So far I've added nothing to the fry tank. Would primafix be safe or should I get some methyline blue? Or should I just leave it as is? Its a clean bare bottom tank with a seeded filter. (Very low flow filter with sponge over intake, I've used it for fry many times with a few different species).

Honestly, I never add anything to my tanks when I have eggs, I just up the current by adding an air stone or something to keep water movement over the eggs. I know breeders do suggest the methyline blue.

Well I didn't add the primafix and all the eggs got a fuzzy fungus like growth and they were no good. I think ill get some methyline blue for next time around.

No I've never bred rainbows before but I read its supposed to be easy.

I have fry this time and I didnt add anything to prevent fungus! Just clean water and a mild filter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388199596732.jpg
    1388199596732.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1388199615609.jpg
    1388199615609.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1388199628268.jpg
    1388199628268.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 89
Back