I need help on my mollies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeree94x

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I bought around 15 new fish (plattys, mollies, gouramis) after upgrading out tank to a 300L one... after a couple days we found 1 baby swimming about... I went out and bought a breeding box and put it in there... after a few days we managed to find 3 all together but unfortunately they died about 4 days in ? I’ve currently noticed changes in one of my mollies so I’ve done the whole google search and think she may be pregnant I also know about the fish going into a sort of square shape when there ready to go into labour so I’ve put her in the breeding box just incase... can someone please tell me if I’m just imagining that she’s pregnant or boxed shape please? & maybe give me advice on what I can do...
Thankyou in advance... Reeree ?

Attachments

• 4C648CD2-8F93-4EA5-9278-2F55FB7934DE.jpg
    4C648CD2-8F93-4EA5-9278-2F55FB7934DE.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 82C7F51A-A620-45BB-9462-9B2A9FB373B2.jpg
    82C7F51A-A620-45BB-9462-9B2A9FB373B2.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 46
I just let my Platys birth in the tank . I figure that way the strongest , smartest fry will make it to adulthood and I think putting the mom in a breeder box will stress her and she will abort the lot , or withhold till a better time . Just my 2 cents .

I don't use a breeder box for my livebearers. As long as you have plenty of plants/hiding spots there will be survivors.

Is this enough plant life for them to hide if I left them in the tank... I get very worried about things like this broke my heart when they died ?

Attachments

• 6583F751-5D0E-4F7E-B7BC-6D4BBBE4F013.jpg
    6583F751-5D0E-4F7E-B7BC-6D4BBBE4F013.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 55
I find babies that I separate into breeder boxes rarely survive and mothers kept in them tend to eat the majority of their young before I see they've dropped the fry
It takes multiple feedings of FRY food and making sure the water in the box staya clean so no over feeding, thats too much fiddling for me. Now I let the mother stay in the community tank and fish the babies out to a dedicated fry tank if I happen to see any before they become snacks.
If you only want plastic plants in your tank I'd get some taller ones that reach the top of the water as the fry seem to prefer it there.

I have a 55 gal molly tank with guppys. I get tons of babys i give away or to my fish store. Some nice ones i keep for breeding. I have plastic and live plants i like to mix them in.

I never use a breeder box all my babys died i think it stresses them out. You need alot more plants. Try to get some live ones.

Mine started breeding like wild once i did and the babys hide as well as eat some of the water weeds i float. And i have moss for them to hide in. I hope you try some more plants and some live ones too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also spread your plants around when you add new ones like short ones in the front of tank taller ones that got to top of water near back and sides. A few live plants will help with a lot with water quality and better hiding spots aswell

Back
Top Bottom