I think my Platy is pregnant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
Or something...
here:

platysmall1au.jpg

Is she or not? or is there no real way of telling just by looking at the picture. because i compared with some other photos and she seems a bit skinnier in those.

Ahhh! What do I do?!?! I have a breeding net. but what else should i do...I don't want them to die! >_<

and if they do grow, i don't have space in my 10 gal tank eeek

Right now do nothing, wait until she is almost square looking and she has develop a really dark spot by her anus. Then if you wish to save the young you will need to isolate her and remove her after she delivers or she will eat the fry. I am not a live bearer expert and I am sure others will be along to flesh out the basics I just gave you.

I just read the 'when your fish spawn' post.

what should i do when the fry grow up? (If they grow up)

It looks to me like she is ready to drop now. I'd watch for her to start hiding and she'll start breathing fast and may look panicy, then you could put her in the net breeder with some kind of plant and a bit of gravel for the babies to hide in. I just had my third batch of platy fry in 2 months and that is the best suggestion I can give as that is what works for me. As far as grown up fry, you can find people that would take some or buy from you or call around to some LFS and see if they buy them or take them. When the fry are born, they ususally won't eat until the next day so you may want to wait 12-24 hours and offer them some crushed flake food. What I do is take a few flakes and put them in the palm of my hand and crush them using the back of my thumb nail and it makes the flakes tiny enough for them to eat. Good luck!

I've got a platy who may be pregnant, how long do they carry before they drop?
Good luck with yours Yodlem, hope they all survive.

Thanks guys!

I already put her in a breeding net, and put some gravel in there...
what if it drops fry overnight while i sleep?

Back
Top Bottom