ID My Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I found this fish at my lfs in with the feeder goldfish. I thought it was a feeder guppy. Then I noticed that there were no guppies at the store so I thought that was odd. Could it be a minnow or another breed? It's quite large compared to my other guppies.
And it tends to swim quickly near the top of the tank.

Also, does it look pregnant? These pictures don't really show it, but it has a huge gravid spot! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399698278.796963.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399698317.907444.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399698331.729205.jpg

Also, does my fish look pregnant? She has a HUGE gravid spot but I'm not sure if all mosquito fish have it. And does any one know anything about their breeding?

Thanks! And does she look pregnant? I heard these fish can stay pregnant for awhile?

Mosquito fish get pregnant all the time, if she was ever in contact with a male mosquito then chances are she's pregnant, the beauty of a mosquito fish birth is they can have up to 400 fry which is a great food source if you're controlling your tank overstocking, she definitely looks pregnant so I would say she is. Hope this has helped. Thanks :)

Mosquito fish get pregnant all the time, if she was ever in contact with a male mosquito then chances are she's pregnant, the beauty of a mosquito fish birth is they can have up to 400 fry which is a great food source if you're controlling your tank overstocking, she definitely looks pregnant so I would say she is. Hope this has helped. Thanks :)

Thanks SOOO much! Actually right when you wrote this she had her first fry! There are soo many and she is still huge! This is my first batch of fry yet, I know how to care for them but right now I have 2 ten gallon tanks, one is specifically for breeding and it is packed with plants and decor do keep fry from being eaten. I want to put my other pregnant guppy in there for her to drop fry but I don't want the new fry to get eaten! Also, how do I siphon the tank without sucking up fry? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom