ID random fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nutty Opossum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I made a trip to my LFS today and got a few new fish. After I aclimated them, I noticed a random hitchhiker fry tagged along. I have no idea which tank he came out of since the fish I got came from 4 different tanks so I have no clue what it is. I put him in a spare quarantine tank and put a bit of hikari first bites in for the time being. Any help figuring out what it could be would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 97
From first glance it looks like a guppy, but it looks too big to be a guppy also.. :confused:

It's pretty small and that was my first thought. Not really experienced with breeding (just got a breeding pair of gbrs, hence why I happened to have first bites handy) but I would guess it would have to be a live bearer to have been at the LFS. I cropped the photo quite a bit to get as much detail as I could. If it helps, here's a non cropped one to show the size better. I'm guessing between .25" and .5"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 92
I think that picture is just fine. Were there guppies in one of the tanks you got your fish from?

I honestly have no idea. He was in the bag that had my kuhli loach so I'm guessing it was that tank but I didn't pay any attention to what else was in that tank :( The tank they used the net in before only had Cardinal tetras so I'm sure it didn't get stuck in the net from that one.

Well, I know that cardinals are hard to breed so I'm pretty confident it is not one of those. My best guess would be a guppy but we will hopefully learn soon enough once it matures! as long as it lives!

Which brings me to my follow up question. Being that I have zero experience yet (though I'm thrilled to have this as a 'trial run' in case the gbrs do spawn) any tips on raising it?

-feed about 4-8x daily (very fast metabolisms)
- tank temp around 80 degrees (high-mid 70s will work.. just remember **higher temp = eat more and grow faster**
-use a sponge filter for all fry
- 50% water changes weekly(for guppies), of course make sure that the water is conditioned and safe (for all fry)

Thanks for the help. Quarantine is set at 78 with a sponge filter. Will definitely be doing weekly water changes when I do my main tank and will do my best to feed that often. If everything goes well I'll try to remember to follow up here. Thanks again!

I made a run back to the store to pick up some plants and supplies. I checked the loach tank and can confirm its a guppy. Still alive and seems to be doing well!

Just wanted to post an update and thanks! The guppy seems to have fully grown and with my success I tried my hand at the breeding projects I had in mind. Currently have about 30 dwarf neon rainbow fry (some are in the pic) as well as approx 20 GBR fry as well (they are much more shy, hard to get a good pic of any) Any guppy experts know what variation it ended up being?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 70
Looks like it just a standard fancy guppy.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom