If i were to breed bettas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would kind of like to breed my betta I've had for a year now... I've been researching this for a while, but I have a few questions. Does anyone know if it'd be ok to house the fry in my 10 gallon with platty fry? Or should I get a new tank? Also, if I can't feed bbs, which I don't think I will be able to, is there something else I can feed the fry? And can I put the female in a breeder box (for livebearers) instead of a divider to let them see each other? Do you know if a pet store female could be a good one to breed? I've heard they are too old once they are sold to pet stores usually. If you have any experience with this, I could really use your help! And if you could run me through what you do for your breeding bettas each breeding that would be awesome :)

Bump... If you can only help with one part, I'd still like to hear any advice you might be able to give... I know I asked a lot of questions :p

I'm breeding my bettas too. They too were pet store bettas. Personally, I kept my female and male in two seperate tanks where they could see each other. I also have a multitude of large tanks to house the fry seperately. I believe your're supposed to feed infursoria for their first little bit of life and then brine once they are bigger. The parents themselves need to be healthy and ready to breed so you should feed them blood worms for 2 weeks ahead of breeding time. I think I've been feeding mine blood worms for a month or two now. (I keep putting off their breeding due to this and that. You probably shouldn't feed them like this. It's bad.) There's lots of information on breeding bettas around on the webs. So don't feel discouraged if you don't get replys here. (Although it's always good to double check your info on here. ;) )

There's a betta breeding thread on here with a bunch of info. Also, if you have had your male for a year he may be too old to breed.

I'm breeding my bettas too. They too were pet store bettas. Personally, I kept my female and male in two seperate tanks where they could see each other. I also have a multitude of large tanks to house the fry seperately. I believe your're supposed to feed infursoria for their first little bit of life and then brine once they are bigger. The parents themselves need to be healthy and ready to breed so you should feed them blood worms for 2 weeks ahead of breeding time. I think I've been feeding mine blood worms for a month or two now. (I keep putting off their breeding due to this and that. You probably shouldn't feed them like this. It's bad.) There's lots of information on breeding bettas around on the webs. So don't feel discouraged if you don't get replys here. (Although it's always good to double check your info on here. ;) )

Hey! Thanks for replying! Okay that's helpful... How do you make your infursoria or how ever you spell it? Do you mean baby brine shrimp or frozen adult? So I should feed them exclusively on bloodworms? I've read you should only feed them as a treat, but I don't know. Thanks again :)

Oh and do you think a 5 gallon is big enough for the actual spawning? I know the water should be shallow. And how would you remove the female after the spawning without wrecking the bubble nest? That thought just occurred to me...

I would kind of like to breed my betta I've had for a year now... I've been researching this for a while, but I have a few questions. Does anyone know if it'd be ok to house the fry in my 10 gallon with platty fry? Or should I get a new tank? Also, if I can't feed bbs, which I don't think I will be able to, is there something else I can feed the fry? And can I put the female in a breeder box (for livebearers) instead of a divider to let them see each other? Do you know if a pet store female could be a good one to breed? I've heard they are too old once they are sold to pet stores usually. If you have any experience with this, I could really use your help! And if you could run me through what you do for your breeding bettas each breeding that would be awesome :)

I think I may be able to help you, though I've never personally bred bettas before.

For the fry question: there will be lots of fry, I mean like over a hundred of them. You'll need something bigger than a 10g with platy fry. Plus they give off a pheromone that makes the other fry stop growing. And then you have the male fry that will start attacking each other when they get older. Yeah, it's a pretty big mess.

As for a bigger tank, you should look at the divided racks and such. There's a proper name for it, betta barracks(!) that would be ok. You could also put them in mason jars or such to grow out. But you'll have to properly heat them an change the water everyday...

There are other things that you could feed them. Micro worms are one example. Go look up some more live foods. I don't remember them right now but there are some. These cultures pretty much keep themselves going after they have been established.

Yes you can put the female in a breeder box. Or even a plastic cup for show. It works just as well:)

Female bettas from the store may work. Look for a smaller (younger) one. Or you could order one online. There are some US breeder that sell VERY nice bettas for really reasonable prices. The only catch is the shipping but that's not too bad...

I have a few more things to say, that aren't in your questions. One, are you willing to cull your babies? There will be some with deformities that will need to be disposed of. There will be a lot of other ones that just won't make it, are you okay with that? Another thing is, will you have homes for all of your bettas? There will be people on here and maybe aquabid that might take them, but what about others? Are you willing to part from them? Also, be aware that this is very time consuming. They will need to be constantly watched over and their water readings read frequently. They will need to be fed often as well. These are baby animals and so take a lot of energy into their development, are you willing to put that into it?

I'm not trying to stop you from doing this but just some things to think about before you get into it:)

Also, here's a good link. This is a really good website/forum about bettas. There's even a section dedicated to breeding bettas. Look through it before you breed them!
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all your advice :)

I think I may be able to help you, though I've never personally bred bettas before.

For the fry question: there will be lots of fry, I mean like over a hundred of them. You'll need something bigger than a 10g with platy fry. Plus they give off a pheromone that makes the other fry stop growing. And then you have the male fry that will start attacking each other when they get older. Yeah, it's a pretty big mess.

As for a bigger tank, you should look at the divided racks and such. There's a proper name for it, betta barracks(!) that would be ok. You could also put them in mason jars or such to grow out. But you'll have to properly heat them an change the water everyday...

Ok. I might keep them in 5 gallons then. I have some extra sponge filters I can use. I'll just need some heaters.

There are other things that you could feed them. Micro worms are one example. Go look up some more live foods. I don't remember them right now but there are some. These cultures pretty much keep themselves going after they have been established.

I think I'm going to do the non-live food method ;)

I have a few more things to say, that aren't in your questions. One, are you willing to cull your babies? There will be some with deformities that will need to be disposed of. There will be a lot of other ones that just won't make it, are you okay with that? Another thing is, will you have homes for all of your bettas? There will be people on here and maybe aquabid that might take them, but what about others? Are you willing to part from them? Also, be aware that this is very time consuming. They will need to be constantly watched over and their water readings read frequently. They will need to be fed often as well. These are baby animals and so take a lot of energy into their development, are you willing to put that into it?
Yes. I know they are baby animals ;) and I am willing to part with them. Actually I have an Oscar that could help me with some of that ;) lol I can probably sell some to the lfs, they are always bringing in more bettas. And I know some people who would probably want some. Also, I can sell some of them on kijiji or aquabid. And a bunch of them when they are really small will be Oscar chow. lol I have some time this summer I can put into it too. Were not away much and I can time it so I'll be here the whole time :)

Thanks for the links. I'll look at them now :)

Hey! Thanks for replying! Okay that's helpful... How do you make your infursoria or how ever you spell it? Do you mean baby brine shrimp or frozen adult? So I should feed them exclusively on bloodworms? I've read you should only feed them as a treat, but I don't know. Thanks again :)

To make infursoria you just use some water, put in some lettuce and put it near a light source. Then you wait for a few days until it stops smelling bad and you should have your infursoria.

I believe there are sites that explain this far better than me.

Alright thanks :) so this is what I got from the link. I can use a plastic bin for spawning (?) and feed the babies (I'll keep them in either one 20 gallon or a few smaller tanks) the lettuce stuff (can't spell it :p) for 2 weeks and then start feeding adult frozen brine shrimp in addition?

Feed baby brine, not adult. They won't be big enough for adult brine shrimp yet. Betta fry are tiny.

Be prepared for failure...Timing is of the essence in breeding bettas. You have to dedicate alot of time and effort to this one as it isn't like guppies or platys. I have had 5 breeds thus far and due to circumstances outside my control I lost all 5. And be prepared for as many as 200 fry at one time that have to be monitored and separated when fighting starts. The actual breeding tank needs NO FILTER running during breeding but will need Oxygen as soon as the fry are free swimming. (they do not have the labyrinth organ developed until weeks later) A running filter in the breeder tends to destroy the males bubble nest as well. Both parents MUST be prior conditioned with live/frozen foods, weeks before actual breeding. Then the fish must accept each other as well (thats why I have a sorority of 15 females, and about 14 males to choose from) If they do not accept each other one could kill the other! So that has to be monitored as well and some females are VERY choosy! My big female Victoria has almost killed two prospective mates so far...she is so vicious I had to use a net to defend the male! And then the parent become problems as the female unless removed after egging will turn around and eat the eggs. If you do not remove her fast enough....the male may also kill her defending his nest. Then the males become problems as some do not care as aggressively about the nest, or after the 2nd day they get hungry and eat the eggs, or as in one attempt I didnt get the male out in time and he ate all the fry! It's tough but it can be done and don't let setbacks discourage you!

Hm. Okay. Everything sounds good except the live food part. Is there any other food I can substitute for LIVE brine or worms?

Hm. Okay. Everything sounds good except the live food part. Is there any other food I can substitute for LIVE brine or worms?

nope it is a must they have live food. I dont advise baby brine...I have read alot it affects their swim bladders so to be safe I am going with infusoria....then switch to microworms

I'll see if I can get a microworm culture, but I doubt it. :(

There are folks that sell it here in the Classifieds section and infusoria you can do at home with the lettuce leaves or banana peels. I would do infusoria for a week or so until they are large enough to eat microworms

Ok thanks :) if anyone reading this has any for sale, pm me! ;)

Daillene is the member I got my culture from. Send him a pm and see if he still has any.

Back
Top Bottom