I'm a mom!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MPehl77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning when I went to feed my fish friends I noticed two new additions....two of the sweetest baby platys ever!!!

My female died four weeks ago....but these babies are as orange as can be so I assume they belong to her since there are no other female platys in the tank. What should I do?? I assume they are approximately four weeks old, there aren't many so I also think a few must have been ate. Should I put them in a nursery net or should I just let them go??

Congrats on the surprise babies! It's really up to you what you want to do. About how big are they? Less than half an inch? What are your other tank mates? If they are big enough not to fit in any of the tank mates mouths you might be ok just letting them go in the main tank.

Here is what is in the tank--

Three dalmatian mollies (a male and two females)
Two male sunburst platys
Three Black Neons
One Dwarf goroumi (sp.?)

The are definitely smaller than half an inch....and my male mollie is large and in charge. He is very big.

I'm thinking I should put them in the nursery net....my kids are already in love. :cool:

I understand, if the kids are attached you better do everything in your power to keep them alive! :) Throw them in the net and make sure you keep up on feedings, couple times a day will make them grow fast. Just make sure to vacuum all the waste out of the net.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for your help!! When their mom died the kids were so sad, they were so looking forward to babies in the tank. It will be fun to watch her little ones grow!

By the way I moved them to the net....only two babies as far as I can see, guess the rest were eaten or in the filter :-( These two look good though. How fun!

well I was going to say just the opposite. haha I figure that if they have made it this long they will most likely survive. it is the survival of the fittest thing. they have figured out how to survive for 4 weeks (by hiding very well) and now they are thinking they are bigger and it is safer to come out and be around the bigger fish.

I have the same sort of thing. my platy gave birth to a few fry (not really sure how many) then we saw several of them get eaten, then just one, then they were all gone. we were sad, but that is life as a fish right? well wouldn't you know about 4 weeks later out comes this cute little orange guy! he is now swimming with the big fish and must think it is pretty safe now.
i have one platy, cherry barbs and molly fry in there with him

Heather, if it were my own tank I would be right there with you. Once your kids become attached to something you want to do everything in your power to keep them happy. Even if it means being extra safe and putting the fry in a breeder box. I agree with you though, it made it this long - it should be fine.

Honestly I think they are fine in the big tank too....but they are about the size of a brine shrimp right now....so I wouldn't put it past any of the larger fish (especially my male mollie) to eat one of them. They are tiny.

I also have three kids and a daycare in my house and this tank keeps us ALL entertained for hours on end....now that there are babies I can use them as an excuse to be extra quiet! Mwaaahahahahah!! :ROFLMAO:

MPehl77 said:
Honestly I think they are fine in the big tank too....but they are about the size of a brine shrimp right now....so I wouldn't put it past any of the larger fish (especially my male mollie) to eat one of them. They are tiny.

I also have three kids and a daycare in my house and this tank keeps us ALL entertained for hours on end....now that there are babies I can use them as an excuse to be extra quiet! Mwaaahahahahah!! :ROFLMAO:

I have a home daycare as well, my babies love my fish!!!

We had a baby platy in our tank too! we have ALOT of live plants and live floating plants that they can hide in. But even after all the plants we've added, this is the first baby that has ever made it past 2 weeks old without being eaten. Now he swims in the tank with the others and nobody bothers him. The only male we had in the tank with the 4 females died right before we discovered the baby, so atleast we have the little guy to help us remember Wiggles (our male platy name lol) hes a spittin image of the female he/she came from as well. So precious. GOod luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom