I'm a Momma! Erm...an Auntie! We have eggs- Have a Cigar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got home from laundry tonite, and went to check the angels and...omg...EGGS!!

That lil hussy I got from a friend less then 2 weeks ago has got my big smokey superveil smitten, and I walked in to see the 2 of em laying eggs on the intake tube *big grin* We got some awesome shots! Couldn't manage one of his bits, but got a great one of hers for those who wonder what the female breeding tube looks like.

So I'd like to present Mrs. Newguy, and Mr. Priscilla (never said we were good at names LOL)

Chances are we'll have no fry from this crew; tis their first go at things, and I'm sure the loaches will chow on em tonite, although I will leave the lights on. I do have to say, even tho shes the youngest of em all, she so far is a great mom and is busy fanning those lil eggs as I type. Course, hes a dork and is still trying to fertilize em LOL

Good thing I don't smoke cigars. I'd hit you up for one. (lol)

Congrats Alli :D

This is so exciting! I had two spawning pairs of angels in my 55, and they spawned about every 2 weeks, about 4 days apart from each other, but we never had any babies, mainly because there are cory cats in there. One time the female was laying them but they were missing the java fern leaf, and the male appeared to be eating the eggs, but he was actually gathering them up and trying to spit them back onto the leaf. It was precious to see them working so hard, taking turns fanning the leaves. It never got old!

Keep the lights on at night so they can protect the eggs from the loaches, and if they spawn on something removable get the eggs outta there and maybe you will have some li'l wigglers! Now you can set up ANOTHER tank!

*starts laughing*

Yet another tank? LOL where the hell would I put it?? But you are absolutely correct; its awesome to watch them work so hard protecting and caring for the eggs; shes working her lil fins off fanning them, and hes chasing everyone away from the intake tube.

Actually I'm gonna leave the lights on, but I have very little hope for this first batch of eggs. Between it being their first go, 4 loaches, 4 angels and a plec for tankmates, gravel bottom and I still don't know if dorky Priscilla actually fertilized em (of course, the out flow for the Emperor400 is right above the intake tube, so it likely washed his milt away) chances of fry are pretty slim. I do think, once I can be sure all is well in the ram tank, I'll move those 2 in there; the rams should leave them and the eggs alone, and its a black sand bottom tank, so if the eggs/wigglers should drop, the adults should be able to find em and move em back.

Despite the fact I have serious doubts about having fry, I am still THRILLED to have a mated pair! My first in almost 2 years of angelfish keeping LOL

Congrats, Alli! That is soooo cool. Well even if you don't get fry this time, at least you know you have two compatible maters. I'm sure they'll...erm...do it again :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pix, too. I've never seen angels laying eggs, and I didn't know they took such good care of them.

I'm rather surprised they are doing such a good job so far; new parents generally don't get it and need some practice. Course, this doesn't mean they won't eat the eggs once they get tired of fanning em LOL but its a good start :)

Heh, somebody in the tank got a nutritious dinner overnite; all the eggs are gone (which I expected - glad I got pics!). Can't quite figure out who tho; no big fat bellies this morning. My guess is the parents ate em, as there are way too many fish in the tank for them to feel comfortable about raising fry, but could have been any of em.

I'm still thrilled tho :) I know this isn't the last time we'll have eggs, and I'll be more prepared in the future!

I'll bet they will repeat the process in 10 days or two weeks. Now that you have a mated pair they will probably spend much of their time together, and there may be more aggression in the tank now. I wonder if you might get another mated pair out of your collection? Then you can become an angel breeder and send me some of your babies, so I can rebuild my stock. :D The ones I see in the shops leave something to be desired, and you have beautiful fish!

LOL I'm hoping to have a few fry at some point. I'm actually thrilled it was one of the superveils thats part of the pair; means all the future babies will have veil tails! I'm hoping my gold marble pearlscale superveil decides to get into the act...imagine THOSE fry!

And you'd be most welcome to some kiddies if I manage to go there...maybe (and this is thinking FAR into the future LOL) I'll take a road trip down to my best bud in Charlottesville n drop em off *grin*

Wish you lived closer Tankgirl. I have a beautiful full grown silver angel that I'm probably just going to give back to the lfs. I had to isolate him from my blackveils cause he was torturing them.

My 125 looks pretty silly right now. 20 black neons. 1 Angel, and 2 4 inch congo tetras that I'll also find a new home for :( Anybody on or near LI want them?

Yes, I am really ready for more angels. I have one full grown male in there now and I don't know how to handle it. I asked some angel experts and they thought that if I added a little group of wee babies it would be okay, but to avoid adding another adult. Mine really got aggressive once they paired off, and my other male wound up killing his mate, my only solid gold (Goldsister, the only one I named!). I found a home for him because he was odd man out against the remaining pair, but then I lost the remaining female after the hurricane - she was the only fish I lost, and she seemed "depressed" after the power was out for so long (?!). That was a mystery death, for sure. But now the plants have taken over the tank so it does not seem empty, but I would love to put more angels in it. I have never been to NY so I need to get my behind up there! :D

Oooo...another angel...hrmmm. And black neons...

Is he a standard silver? Or a veiltail? Heh, my guys would certainly keep him in line, although I'd have to move out one of MY angels to accomodate him. Then again, if I move the mated pair into the ram tank I'll have space. Lemme think about it and let you know if I can accomodate some of your fishies Brian! Unless TankGirl does a road trip *grin* Then I'll just pop over so we can have an AA meet!

Brian, where is the pic of your 125G? I looked at your gallery and didn't see it. I can't even imagine how big that tank is!

Yes, I think it would be cool to have an AA meet. The angel is a simple silver, but magnificent fins and color. And the congos are nice pleasant fish, I just don't have a place for them anymore.

I'll post a pic of all of them tomorrow. Let me see if I can update my gallery for you now myriam :D

Back
Top Bottom