Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Improvised fry tank OK

I had a molly give birth sometime last week. I didn't know she was pregnant and just found two fry hiding in a cave. She apparently ate the rest. I hurried up and set up my ten gallon QT tank with a 15 gallon filter that was used to cycle the ten gallon tank. I had it running in my 29 gallon tank to keep the bacteria active. However, when I put it on the ten gallon QT tank it didn't immediately cycle the tank. My ammonia and nitrate have been high but I was doing frequent pwc to keep everything in line. Today I ran out of water treatment for chlorine. My ammonia was .50 and Nitrite was .50. I know this is not good for fish let alone really tiny fish. I grabbed a clear plastic food container with snap lock lid. I put really tiny holes in the lid, filled it with water from my 29 gal. tank, put the fry in it, and sunk it in my 29 gallon tank. Will this keep them until the 10 gal. cycles? Should I have floated the container and do frequent pwc in it? I don't want to loose the two little fry.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #2

You could just poke a bunch of really small holes in a container and let the water fill in it when's its in the fishtank where the fry is in it and they should be fine if you put them on there so I don't see why you made it sink

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #3

Letting it float would just be fine
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I let it sink because I was afraid they wouldn't get enough oxygen or water movement. However, I know realize that I could have just put holes in the sides and let it float. I will do it that way. Hopefully I can get some water conditioner and put them back in the big tank soon. I ordered some supplies but have no idea how long it will take to get them.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #5

The one I put mine in floats and just has holes in the bottom of the box and that's it but I bought mine at the store for like four dollars and it worked perfectly and the holes were like really thin but long
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Masterfish-I actually have one of those things but I have misplaced it. I thought it would be good for this purpose. There s a locally owned pet store here but it is way expensive. I am going to go there today and get some water conditioner though. It bothers me seeing the fish in a 5x5 box. Plus the adults are trying there best to get to the little ones. Hopefully the 10 gal will get done with its mini cycle soon.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

I had over 30 fry in my box and they all did fine and before that I had to lime you and there all alive in my opinion the box is pretty awesome for 2fish
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

But okeydokey

Tags
fry, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com