inbreeding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In many fish it depends on generation count. A common number for imbreeding is by the 4th-5th generations, which very well could show signs of stunted growth or other abnormalities. Eventual you get spinal damaged offspring or birth defects.

In many fish it depends on generation count. A common number for imbreeding is by the 4th-5th generations, which very well could show signs of stunted growth or other abnormalities. Eventual you get spinal damaged offspring or birth defects.

I disagree with this figure. I've heard that you start running into trouble around the 20th or later generations (ballpark estimate) and not as soon as the 4th or 5th. Granted, if it were me breeding fish I'd try to introduce wild blood every couple of generations because I strive to produce quality not quantity. I've heard stories of guys breeding a small colony of African cichlids since the early 90's with no ill effects and they are still going strong today. It may depend on the species being bred more than anything.

Definitely depends on the species, but I know it exists in specific cichlids because I have worked with such cases along with some common hobby fish. I guess my point is, and as I said before, you could start seeing abnormalities and possible (moreso in frail fish).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom