Increasing number of babies with livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocaquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

I keep a 29 gallon tank with guppies and platys for the purpose of having ready food for my belonesox pair. It saves me trips to the lfs for food and I can control the quality of my sox's diet.

Two days ago my Sox gave birth to 45 babies. Just about an inch long. They can eat young guppies pretty easily.

So now I need lots of feeder fish. Other than good water quality and lots of protien does anyone have ideas for increasing the number of babies my guppies and platys have?

your going to need more then a 29 gal tank. you get the female prego then move it in its own tank. this way you can save the max number of fry.

raising the temp closer to 80 deg F or so should speed up the fry growth and frequency of deliveries some

Large amounts of varied, live food are the best way to get the best litters from most fish.

agreed, make sure they are getting plenty of quality protein, i feed both quality spirulina and earthworm flake ^ pellet to mine and have noticed slightly high batches with all my livebreeders, i have a variety from sommon swordtails to a variety of rarer goodieds.

Back
Top Bottom