Is anyone familiar with panda cory breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 3 panda cories are spawning up a storm, however the nano community they are in are also spawning and eating all eggs. I only want to keep 8 babies for my almost ready new show tank. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this? I think I can manage to grab a stalk of rotala with eggs before the lights come on in the morning, where should I go from there and what should I look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi ktomm,
I've had numerous cory spawnings in my tank, alas no fry. As you noted, removing the eggs from the parents or other hungry guys is a good idea. It's best if you can keep the eggs underwater when transporting, the less air exposure or handling the better. Eggs should have adequate water flow to help prevent fungus. If they are alone, you can treat with methylene blue as well. Eggs that are fertilized will appear amber in color in approximately 24 hours with little brown dots in the middle and hatch after a few days. I haven't had any luck so far but wish you the best!

OK, I've done this many times so here are your options:

You can sink a mason jar in the tank and put your plant clipping in it while it remains under water. Remove the jar, add an airstone and Methlylene Blue to prevent fungus.

The easier way it to simply get an old 5gal-10gal tank-Yard sale! Put an air line in it and water from the established tank. Place the corys in there and let them go to town overnight. Just remove the adults, add the Methlylene Blue and wait for fry. You can also get them to spawn by putting ice in a plastic pasta strainer on the top of the tank. The cold water drip will make them spawn like you have never seen before.

You can do the last suggestion in a 5gal bucket if that is what the budget allows.

What do you plan to feed the fry? Flake food will not work. Green water followed by microworms or live baby brine shrimp will be necessay. You can also use anathaxtin -Spelling may be off they sell it at Ken's Tropical Fish-as a first food and 100 micron golden pearls when they arelarge enough for microworms or brine shrimp.

P.M. me with questions.

Back
Top Bottom