Is it normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, just looking for some advice. I have two pregnant platys. One is enormous and I was sure she would drop over two weeks ago, the other is younger and wasn't pregnant a month ago (could see through her and noticed when she first started growing babies inside). This younger fish is getting larger, the gravid spot is getting bigger, I can clearly see eyes inside and it's much less translucent than it was. My question is, is it normal for her to start clamping her fins now? I noticed this morning that she's clamping tight. Still feeding fine and swimming around. There is nothing on her (no signs of ich or injury or anything abnormal whatsoever). I've just tested my water (api master test kit) and water is excellent (ph 7.5, 0, 0, 0) (heavily planted tank so plants eat up all the nitrates). Just wondering if this is just her getting ready to drop or if she's stressed from something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have males with her? They could be bothering her while your not looking. I locked up my males, a week before she drops to give her a better chance. I put them in a breeder net in the tank. Then 3 days after the birth I turn them loose. Females can stay pregnant 6 months after exposure to male. try keeping your light off for a few days or longer than usual, give her chance to rest. Then she'll most likely drop.

Thank you for your reply. She seems fine again now, no more clamping. She's gone very square so fry is imminent I'm sure. I think it's my other female who has dropped some fry overnight but I could be mistaken. In any case, there are babies in my tank. I'm not bothering with a breeder net or anything. My tank is ever so slightly overstocked as it is so I'm letting nature take its course. If any survive, then bonus but I'm not looking to save them especially. I do have the perfect plant for them to hide in so it shouldn't be total carnage. Thanks very much for your reply, I gave up on any one replying!

your welcome. I have been busy, and I try to reply to posts that have no answer. I meant the breeder net for the males. They tend to stress the female while trying to give birth. If you don't want the babies, its cool. The lights off are for the female too. Keeps everyone nice and calm. I had some fish nipping her anal fin waiting for babies. She ended up dying from the stress of everyone pestering her for "fry food" they most likely will give birth during the night/early morning. PS make sure to hit my thank you button and hit the thank you button on anyone that helps you

I don't think I have that function from the app. I'll try log into the actual website to do that. :)

Oh and yes, that is a good idea about the net for the boys. I'll look into that. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom