Is my Buenas Aires tetra about to spawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaDad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. I have a pair of BA tetras that I had to separate from my community tank because they started biting other fish’s fins and killed a couple of them. I’m not super familiar with them (I inherited them from someone else), so I don’t know if they’re male or female yet.

Recently the bigger BA is fatter than usual, with a brownish bulge right in front of its anal fin. I should mention that they almost completely stopped eating when I moved them to the emergency tank, which is also soaking some newer driftwood (hence the green colour right now). So they’ve been a little bit neglected, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s some sort of disease. But I wanted some outside opinions.

Here are a few photos - let me know what you think...

IMG_3398D.JPG
IMG_3405.jpg
IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg
IMG_3410.jpg

If the Buenos Aires Tetras are eating and otherwise acting normally then it's likely the swollen belly is due to eggs. If the Tetras have locked up & refuse to eat then you might be dealing with an intestinal blockage or a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom