Is my Dalmation Molly pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
Not sure if im in the right topic area But i am new to Dalmation Mollies. These are the first ever purchased and I've only had them for about a week. One of my mollies are developing a belly and I am not sure if she is pregnant or not. I was told she may be too young? (she is just over an inch long) So I am not sure what else it could be? Would really appreciate the help/suggestions! I know the pictures arent the greatest I will try to get some clearer ones if needed. If she is infact pregnant any idea of when I'd expect fry? Also tips and tricks on the whole birthing process? This will be my first pregnant fish EVER!

Attachments

• molly 2.jpg
    molly 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 106
  • molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 477
Newest picture! again kinda crappy quality but looks like in a matter of 24 hours she has "Dropped"? am i seeing this correctly?

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 110
I do have a seperate fry tank i just dont know if i should be moving her now or not

next question is that, is that fry tank "cycled?" if it is, put the molly into the fry tank. second do have aquatic plant in the tank so that once she is starting giving birth, the fries can hid. IMO, i think you should put the molly in the tank. also, you do not have a power filter running because you know what will happen if you do.

I put a nylon stocking over my filter in my fry tank...I also have a ac sponge over my intake valve in the tank my platy have her fry... just a thought I thought to share

What do you mean by cycled? And i do have plants up for hiding. She still seems pretty active today! So not sure when these little ones will come. Ive noticed the male keeps swimming around her and nudging at her stomach and bum area. Is this normal?

Oh yes it is cycled and no running filter on it. Still havent moved her over. As i said shes still pretty active swimming around. I was told once she is slow moving and no interest in food that i should be switching her over?

She is now starting to poop bright orange and constantly swimming away from the male who is nipping around her anus. Should i be concerned?

She has been frantically swimming up and down the corners of the tank. Anus looks like its starting to "pucker" outwards? Is this a sign?!

Still no babies! Her attitude hasn't changed much at all. Still activly swimming and eating normally. I've been trying to check for a gravid spot but not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Attached a few more pictures of her current state. If anyone can help me out with how to find or distinguish this spot would help me out lots! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20121111-00112.jpg
    IMG-20121111-00112.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20121111-00113.jpg
    IMG-20121111-00113.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20121111-00114.jpg
    IMG-20121111-00114.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 70
SOme more crappy pics but Im starting to think maybe shes just a plump molly or is she just brewing up additional babies? I was told over a week ago that i had 2 days to prepare for babies and still nothing. :( really starting to think its just chub!

Attachments

• IMG-20121115-00121.jpg
    IMG-20121115-00121.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20121115-00123.jpg
    IMG-20121115-00123.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
It is hard to tell with a molly much easier with a platy due to being able to see the babies eyes but you can tell by the belly squaring out just before delivery then you better be ready. Just keep an eye out for strange behavior such as staying by plants, resting a lot, chasing other fish away and eating less. I rechecked pictures and looks to me like she is.

Yes I have been watching for that. Its hard for her to rest I find tho because the male continually flairs up at her and smacks her with his tail and chases her around constantly. I think he leaves her alone 1 minutes out of every ten. other then that the rest of the time is spent running away from him. A few brought up to me in the chatroom stated I could try moving her to my other tank but I found all she would do is freak out and after 24 hours of that I had to move her back into the big tank and the flairing up continued as soon as I put her back in. No idea why he is doing this to her. apparently the males choose favorites but why would he beat her up?

no i have one more female (so 1 male and two females one of which is in the pictures above) THe one picture i just posted that has the "pregnant" molly and one beside it is the male who is actually flared up in that picture and was not letting her out of the plane decoration. so yes one additional female who he leaves alone. he sometimes will swim beside her but never flairs and hits like he does the other.

I would suggest moving the male then molly's can get stressed to the point that they misscary or die.

Back
Top Bottom