Is my female Endler Guppy Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropicalfish_girl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I came across this fantastic website over the weekend, & have learned some great tips & advice already! I am a 3 month newie to owning my dream freshwater tropical aquarium - a 108 litre octagonal tank. I have been advised to hold off on getting new fish, but the hobby is just so interesting (and costly!). I have numerous guppies (15+), of which most females seem to be pregnant, a handful of mollies and platties, 8 Neon, 5 Serpei Tetras, 7 male Dwarf Gouramis, Harlequin Rasboras, Ruddynose Tetras, Zebra Danios, 1 Bristlenose, 3 Clown Loach, and 2 Corydoras. Yes, quite a community!

As I was cleaning my filter yesterday, I found 6 babies, still all alive in the gunk! I had to delicately spoon them out with a teaspoon, & now have them in the "baby nursery" box, within the tank. One of my female Endler Guppies is pregnant (from what I have compared to my research), so I have place her in the top compartment of the baby nursery box. Could someone please let me know, from the picture, if she is indeed pregnant? If so, what would be the estimated time frame before she drops? I just don't want to keep her in there for weeks if she's still a long way off. Also, the 6 babies (guppies or platties) are still so small (like 3 day old tadpoles), and are at the bottom of the breeding box. Will they end up eating the new babies if the female drops over the week?
Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 235
hi and congrads :)
the wee ones that are there just now won't eat any newcomers but the mummy to be will/might well do if the babies that are there pop their heads up to pay her a visit :(
sorry cant answer when she will drop but she looks pregnant to me gl :)

Jackie1966 said:
hi and congrads :)
the wee ones that are there just now won't eat any newcomers but the mummy to be will/might well do if the babies that are there pop their heads up to pay her a visit :(
sorry cant answer when she will drop but she looks pregnant to me gl :)

Thanks for your advice. I've released her back into the tank with the others. I've just seen that one of my red flame dwarf gouramis was laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, so I have put him in the top of the box. Hope he makes it through the night. The babies in the compartment below him don't seem to mind that he's laying above him.

poor thing hope he makes it and don't pass on any nasties to the fry while he is in sickbay

No worries! My 108 liter is my dream tank, though costly, it is such an enjoyable hobby!

My red gourami that I had in sick bay died sometime today, so just the saved babies (whether they're guppies, platties or other, are yet to be confirmed!) are in the nursery that's attached inside the main tank.

Although I'd love to watch babies being born in the safety of a breeding box, I might just let nature take its course with the other pregnant fish, as it seems too stressful to keep them in there too long...

Back
Top Bottom