Is my fish pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 4 red eye tetras and I've noticed that latke one is looking much larger than the others and almost bloated.
It's the fish on the far left, is it pregnant or just getting fat? Because it also seems to be a little more dominant and usually snaches up food faster than the others but I'm not sure. I've never bread fish before or had a pregnant one in my tank so I'm new to identifying the difference

Attachments

• image-2116194297.jpg
    image-2116194297.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3318418367.jpg
    image-3318418367.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 88
I would say pregnant. Almost looks like its starting to square off, how long has she looked 'fat'?

She may be eggy, but tetras don't get "pregnant" actually, they drop eggs rather than giving live birth.
Definitely looks like she could have some in her. Try fasting for a couple days or feeding a deshelled blanched pea one day to see if maybe it's constipated or bloat just in case.

If it does lay eggs should I just get a breeding net or totally isolate the fish and new eggs? And how long do you think it would be until she does lay eggs if she's already that big

If it does lay eggs should I just get a breeding net or totally isolate the fish and new eggs? And how long do you think it would be until she does lay eggs if she's already that big

She probably is eggy if it's been over the course of a couple weeks. If you want to try to raise the fry, you'll want to move all the adults into a different tank once they've been laid. Most fish will go after any eggs they can.
I'm not positive on how long it'll take. Only time will tell on that one. Try some cool water changes and feed a good amount of protein and that should help her drop faster

Oooh I'm definitely following! Update on what happens! I suspect my blushing white skirt is eggy...

The correct term for a fish holding eggs is "gravid." as far as the eggs go, I would research care for them just in case they do lay fertilised eggs. I know some tetras eggs are light sensitive so you'd have to look into that.

Well I found a grouping of eggs in the rocks of my tank this morning, Idk how long they will last with the other fish but I will hope for the best if any fry show up I will isolate them and see if I can raise them

Back
Top Bottom