is my gold fish prgnat? help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caged sparrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my fantail calico is getting bigger in her stomach. she wants food all the time. shes the first one at the top of the tank to eat when i feed. she swims slower now altough very active. she tends too stick very close to my larger fancy goldfish. i was told to get her a breeding net so she could have her babbies without the risk of other fish eating them. but i still dont know if she is pregnat or just bloating or maybe eating too much. any ideas on if she is or how too help her? and what should i do to make sure the babbies thrive after birth? thanx

Goldfish are not live-bearers, they lay eggs, which wouldn't cause such bloating.

I would stop feeding your fish so much...overfeeding can make your fish very sick. They will always eat as much as you give them, and will always beg for more (I have goldfish too, they are terrible piggies!). You might want to try feeding them cooked, cooled, de-skinned peas, which aid if your fish is constipated (which it probably is). Also be sure that you're feeding your fish a variety of foods, including veggies. Goldfish in particular are susceptible to digestive ailments, a good diet keeps them healthy!

my calico only eats twice a day even if she begs i do not feed her more than that. i should have said that in the orinal post sorry. but i did not know you could feed them a variety of foods. thanx. and shes not real big her stomach has gotten quite bigger sense i got her but she does not look bloated really, but ive never really dealt with fish. but i have seen pictures of bloated fish, but i quess it all depends on how bloated or constipated they are. well thankyou much for your help. and i will try what you have suggested. thakyou so much. :D

Back
Top Bottom