Is my guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cmziler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is my guppy pregnant? If so how much longer till she drops her fry? I was gifted two guppies and they happened to be a male and female.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 58
Should I keep her in the breeder box she looks relaxed?

I put her in the box to begin with because the male and other fish wouldn't leave her alone she kept trying to get behind the filter and heater. They keep nipping at her and chasing her.

If she's getting harassed then yeah keep her in the breeder box. You need to get some more females. If you have a 1:1 male/female ratio then the male will harass the female constantly.

Unfortunately I can't get any more females right now my 10 gallon tank is maxed out right now. I have 3 Mickey Mouse platies as well. After the holidays I'm planing on either getting 2 more tanks and having a bridge built (love the effect of that) or getting a 55 gallon. I wasn't trying to have fry as I had already had the 3 female platies and then a friend got rid of her tank and I sort of adopted the two guppies she was going to just flush them. Said keeping fish is too time consuming for her. How these fish breed is beyond me in poor conditions high ammonia. In the 5 years I been keeping fish I have never kept male and female. Not seen ammonia levels of 8ppm and it not kill the fish. Even in my uncycled tank I don't think I ever seen it that high.

That what I was worried about I had a problem with ammonia levels last year with someone over feeding my fish for 4 days while I was in the hospital, and just got my ammonia levels back under control for the second time. Again I was in the hospital 4 days even after showing them how to feed the fish they still over fed them. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to clean up the tank right away after getting home. Both times in the hospital for having a baby. I also have ammonia in my water it's low enough that my bio can handle the little bit in the water it's self. What about if I do add another female? The amount in my tap water is .25ppm. Buying bottle water isn't feasible as I don't have a place to store it I would have to buy in advance with not knowing when i would be able to get to do the water tank with two small ones.

Do you have the water conditioner "Prime"? It neutralizes ammonia so it would solve your tap water issue. And a single female guppy is a very negligible amount of bioload. Just cut back on feeding some when you add her to help the biofilter catch up.

Yes I use Aqua safe plus and I also use stress zyme+. I'm limited on what I can get around here. When my stability ran out I can no longer find it anywhere. The Ammonia levels are finally under control now since starting the stress zyme plus. The store I used to go to closed down and I listened to the woman at pet co saying that Aquasafe start works great. Even after 4 big bottles it still didn't have my ammonia under control and again I listened to them doing 50% water changers every other day against my better judgement I did it. It helped lower the ammonia but in the process wiped out the bio filter with changing the filter as well. But thank god since starting stress zyme for the last week the ammonia isn't increasing but not declining just yet. It's only been 5 days. I really hate to drive 45 minutes away to the fish store but they carry everything fish related since that's their specialty. I did end up getting a 30 gl tank today off of fb yard sale. But what do I do with these 10 goldfish? I hate gold fish they eat and poo and get way too big. These aren't even fancy gold fish just your plain carnival fish.

Oh I don't have just a single guppy I have two guppies and 3 platies. And now it seams I have 10 gold fish I don't know what to do with. I want to move my guppies and platies to the 30 gallon tank and have the 10 gallon for the fry. Now with a bigger tank I can add more female guppy. And maybe some other colorful fish. Or what ever other small fish my son decides he likes for the moment. hes a year old but loves looking at the fish tank. Eventually I'm going to either get another 30 gallon and build a bridge between the two or just get a 55 gallon tank. I think the kids would love the bridge watching the fish swim up and over the tanks.

How did you end up with 10 goldfish??? And it sounds like more tanks will solve your problem. Can't wait to see the bridge, post pictures!

With regards to your current tank, I meant that a total of 3 guppies and 3 platys should be fine.

I got a 30 gal tank off fb yard sale and it came with 10 goldfish. After the holidays going to get another 30 gal tank and get clear pvc pipe and attempt to attach all three at least the two tanks. I will be sure to post the picture. Any way my female guppy is really squared off now so I'm thinking she will have them by Monday. Is my guess since her back half dropped down to a more square shape. Here's a picture of my male I can't wait to see what color the fry are with mom having more blue purple, and dad orange and black. My son is gonna love it. He loves watching his fish. I would love to set a saltwater tank up to get him his nemo, dory, scar And the star fish. But salt water I am unfamiliar with and from what I under stand is more time consuming. With a year old and almost 2 month old I don't have that much time. We was going to try and fake it with a more orangey tiger barb but with having the guppy won't risk it with the tiger barb being too aggressive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 64
Update she's having her fry now!!!! So far two fry unles she has eaten some...

Back
Top Bottom