Is my new addition going to have some new additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i just got my swordtails on Sunday, and as I have been watching them, one of my females has been looking rather round to me. I am new to the fish keeping world, and have been trying to do lots of research but it's been difficult for me to figure this one out yet.

She has been hanging out at the bottom of the tank, but today she was swimming up and down the sides of the tank. The male has been picking at her since I fed them after getting home from work, and she's been trying to herd the other female and the male away from her.

The one I am curious about is in the middle, with my other female in the background.

Attachments

• DSC_0117.jpg
    DSC_0117.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 132
Mine has given birth twice and that's about how she looks now. It's a little bit too soon to tell. But if you've got a male in there she's almost certainly pregnant. I say she's got quite a few weeks to go.

Yupp , another week or so.

I have to admit when I saw her I thought she was a platy lol

Well an update on this is I have one surviving fry. I don't know if there were more initially. I have had her in a breeding net and she is getting pretty big, but now I have another batch of fry on the way!

I am trying to figure out how big the fry needs to be before it joins the large tank. She is probably about 1cm long and 2-3 mm wide.

The tank is stocked with 2 neons, 3 adult swordtails and an albino bristlenose pleco.

You have to make sure they are
Larger than the biggest mouth in the tank ( so they dont get eaten)
And make sure that she can compete for food with the adults so she dosent starve

Back
Top Bottom