Is my platy pegnant? Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1987notts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my platy about 2 weeks ago from the pet shop. She was this size. (pic) when I brought her. And hasn't really got much bigger. Please help. I am new to this.

Attachments

• image-1807383170.jpg
    image-1807383170.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 74
Doesn't look pregnant to me, or at least anywear close to having her fry if she is. Give it time. If there is a male and female in the tank you will see fry eventually.

Platys are pretty round fish in general. If you got her from a petstore where she was in a tank with males, then you can be pretty much be assured she is gravid. But, she does not look super close to dropping fry. It can be a hard to tell though. Keep an eye on her. Maybe in a week or so? The belly usually gets square looking before they drop fry. Instead of this profile (_) they get this profile \__/.

absolutangel04 said:
Platys are pretty round fish in general. If you got her from a petstore where she was in a tank with males, then you can be pretty much be assured she is gravid. But, she does not look super close to dropping fry. It can be a hard to tell though. Keep an eye on her. Maybe in a week or so? The belly usually gets square looking before they drop fry. Instead of this profile (_) they get this profile \__/.

Thank you very much. I will keep a close eye on her. I have a male too. So hope fully one day.

How man platys do you have and what size tank? Just curious. I love my platys. That one in the picture is very pretty. :)

I only have two platy. In a 60l community tank. With a variety of other fish.

I wasnt planning on. But I might now. But my tanks pritty full. How many fish do u think I could keep in my set up at a push?

I wasn't planning to but I might now. How many fish could I fit in my tank at a push do u think?

I have a 60l community tank. With 2 platy, 4 guppy. (1 male. 3 female) 2 ram cichlids, to dwarf bumble bee goby's, 2 RTS, 1 male betta, 1 female better, 1 clown loach, 1 pleco, 1 glass catfish. And 4 shrimp and two clams!! Wow that's sounds a lot there. But they work well together.

I have a 60l community tank. With 2 platy, 4 guppy. (1 male. 3 female) 2 ram cichlids, to dwarf bumble bee goby's, 2 RTS, 1 male betta, 1 female better, 1 clown loach, 1 pleco, 1 glass catfish. And 4 shrimp and two clams!! Wow that's sounds a lot there. But they work well together.
Wow. Sorry to say, but IMO you do not have room for another platy or even for half the fish you already have. Apololgies, you have the thread about the rts, right? I get names confused sometimes when I am looking at a bunch of threads simultaneously.
But, glass cats/clown loaches should be in schools IMO for them to be happy and live to their full potential lifespans and behaviors.
Do you have plans for a bigger tank?

Do u think that is way to much? They all seem happy. And they have all been in there for two months now. The waters tip top condition and they are all healthy.

Ps i have a 60 UK Litre tank that's about 15 us gallons. Sorry I'm from England

Do u think that is way to much? They all seem happy. And they have all been in there for two months now. The waters tip top condition and they are all healthy.
Honestly, I think that is way too much. Remember that the fish usually available fo rsale are very young, so just because you do not see a certain behavior yet does not mean it won't happen.
You have a thread for the rts, so I am going to leave that alone for right now. But, Clown loaches should bein schools of at least 6 IMO and they get to be a foot long. Common plecos can reach 2 feet! So, when I say you do not have room, I mean because of the potential sizes these fish reach. Also, glass cats are pretty sensitive and really should be in schools too IMO. They tend to stress easily so a single one will not necessairly reach its full lifespan alone.
Its good that your water is being kept up. I think if you re-homed the pleco, loach, glass cat, one betta, and both sharks, you would be ok and possibly have room to add a couple more suitable fish. :)

When the plec gets bigger he will be rehoused. But the rest are find and happy. And the clown loach is about 3 cm so Iv got a while with him

Back
Top Bottom