Is my platy pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CashCountry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 Platy fish. One female and two males. Ive only had them for 2 weeks but my female has in the past week gotten really fat in her lower tummy kinda like a bulge and she has a black spot on her inside. I never noticed it before. Can anyone tell me if she may be pregnant? i hope so. I will try and get a pic of her soon. thanks

Its hard to tell without a picture but I would say you are probably right, it is pregnant. It doesn't take much, or long, to have a population explosion with live bearers. I would consider separating the fry as soon as they can be sexed so you do not have an inbreeding colony of platys. Trust me, I have more guppies than I know what to do with.

Yeah from your descipion she sounds pregent. be careful with that ratio the males are likely to stress out and eventually kill the female. if i were you i'd go trade in one of your males for a female. so you will have the right ratio of males to females.

i think she has even gotten bigger. i bought a breeding net to put her in when she starts having them. is there any way to tell when she is getting close? and how long will it take her to finish? i also bought a small tank and a bubbler to put the fry in when they come, and first bites to feed them. Any suggetions on the whole pregnancy and baby fry would be appreciated due to this being my first fry experience. thanks

Back
Top Bottom